Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2017 23:00

Video Editing: Dell XPS 15 / Precision 5000 Series / OR (APPARENTLY) A GAMING LAPTOP?!

Hello! and Help!

My MacBook Pro has finally died, and I am leaving Apple for good. I've spent the past week trying desperately to understand all of the options within options of PC laptops. My situation is this: I edit video and I want a powerful machine; I want smooth editing and professional finished products. 

XPS and Precision are very similar and I am wondering if there is any benefit to shelling out for the Precision. After poking around on this website, I'm also newly concerned about a flickering screen issue that the XPS models seem to have. But I'm in love with them; they're beautiful.

Visiting Best Buy today, I was sure I had myself narrowed down to those two Dell computers. Then an employee suggested I consider an MSI Gaming Laptop (GS63VR STEALTH-252) on account of its GeForce GTX 1060 GPU (6GB), against the XPS' Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 (2GB).

The Stealth's hardware is pretty awful, and I don't think I'd be able to get past it, but it's troubling to know that there are options other than the XPS or Precision with more supportive GPUs. 

So: 
Any word on the Precision vs. the XPS 15'?
Is the screen flickering issue something to be worried about?
Are there other laptop options that will handle video better? 

No Responses!
No Events found!