Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2012 00:00

Volume does not change for Vostro V131 when plugging in heaphones

I'm running Win7 64-bit on a Vostro V131. On my old Dell XPS I remember that the audio volume would change (and could be changed separately) whenever I plugged in my headphones (it was a 32-bit system though). Unfortunately it's not the same now. I've read that this could be changed under Playback Devices, etc., but even when the headphones are plugged in, they do not show up as a separate device - I only see the Speakers (I have checked the Disabled and Hidden devices).

This made me think that the headphones are not recognized at all, BUT the Dell Audio software does recognize them - well at least, it has a tab named Jack Information, where it shows a headphone symbol which is grayed-out when they're unplugged. No other options like separate volume controls are available. I did update the Conexant SmartAudio driver from Dell's homepage, but maybe there's some newer version that I'm unaware of.

There are no other problems with the audio (at least, I haven't stumbled upon them yet), just this one. But it's really annoying as I like to listen to music at work, but hate when I forget to lower the volume after unplugging headphones.

Can anyone help on this issue? 

943 Posts

August 16th, 2012 15:00

Hi Karlisk

You have already tried so many steps in order to fix the problem, I really appreciate that.

In order to fix this problem we recommend you to update BIOS version of the computer and audio drivers as well. Please follow these steps to check the BIOS version on your system

Type” MSINFO32” in the RUN text box and press enter. It would open up the System Information window, on the right pane look for “BIOS Version/Date”

In case BIOS version is less than A04 would request you to update the latest BIOS from the below mentioned link:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=9T2FC&FileId=2926005186

Link for audio drivers:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=R310138&FileId=2731118715

Please let me know for further help

Thank you

Thanks & Regards

Prateek K

#iworkfordell

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 16th, 2012 16:00

Hello. Just a reminder that a failed BIOS update attempt can ruin or  "brick" your motherboard and the failure is not covered by your warranty even when told to do it by a Dell employee. I would at least want some assurance that BIOS A04 is known to fix this issue. Each new BIOS version does specific things and someone at Dell should know what this one does.

2 Posts

August 17th, 2012 00:00

Thanks for your reply!

Yes the BIOS is A04, and I updated the driver - still no luck.

Could it be a problem with the Dell Audio software? What would happen if I just uninstall it or use different software?

943 Posts

September 10th, 2012 09:00

Hi

Extremely sorry for the late reply,  

I am adding you as a friend, please let me know in case you are still facing this issue.

Please provide all the details through a private message and I would definitely help you with that.

Thank you

Thanks & Regards
Prateek K
#iworkfordell
No Events found!