Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 16th, 2009 15:00

Vostro 1500 Video Driver Issues

I bought my Vostro summer 2007, the same month they came out.  I configured it with an 8600M GT and Windows XP Pro (32bit) as to escape having to deal with Vista.  I mostly use this laptop for gaming and because of that I'm constantly trying to get the most performance out of what I have available to me.  However, every time I download a video driver update from the Dell support site (for 32bit XP) I always get the same error whenever I try installing it: "The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compadible with your current hardware.  Setup will now exit."

I've downloaded every single video driver update for my system that Dell made available over the past 2 years, and every driver, except for the one on the driver disc that came with my laptop, gives me this same error.  I've used modded drivers from laptopvideo2go.com in the past, but they don't have the same features that come preloaded with the Dell drivers (such as shutting off the back light when you close the laptop lid, this is a must since I have my system set to do nothing when I close it since I like to leave my system running).  And to make matters worse, I just went back to the driver page for my Vostro (for like the 30th time) and none of the download links for the newest, or the 2 oldest (only 2, there used to be 6 or 7) drivers were working.

I've looked all over the place for an answer to my problem, but have only managed to find more people in the exact same situation as me, with the exact same model of Vostro with the exact same hardware as me.  So, I'm coming to the source, why do none of the Dell drivers work for my system and/or what do I have to do to get a driver that works with my system that isn't over 2 years old?  I just bought Mass Effect the other day and it refuses to run with my outdated drivers (says so itself), and I'm none too happy at all about it.

9 Posts

September 16th, 2009 20:00

Bump

9 Posts

September 17th, 2009 20:00

Bump #2

9 Posts

September 20th, 2009 10:00

Bump #3

:'(

5 Posts

November 16th, 2009 03:00

I tried to install WIndows XP Pro SP3 on my Vostro 1500 with 8600M GT and the newest downloadable driver from Dell wont install because of "no supported hardwae found". As mentioned by you...

But by using the "system tray - hardware" I could install the drivers, pointing to the extracting directory created by the dell drivers.

In the display settings it looks fine with all resolutions available. But:

The nVidia tray wont work and at startup I get an attention window with rundll32-error: "nvHotKey.dll - module not found". This file isn't installed properly. After copying it into System32-directory and reboot I get the message that this file isn't a proper DLL-File and afterwords the above error message againt.

Any suggestions?

9 Posts

November 18th, 2009 14:00

Dunno when it happened, but nVidia is making drivers for all their notebook GPUs, and they work perfectly.  Running silky smooth on forceware 186.81 for XP 32-bit as we speak, it's like night and day compared to the May 2007 rev. graphics driver I was suffering with ><

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

5 Posts

November 19th, 2009 16:00

Terrific! nVidia have learned how to deal with customers finally!

I will reinstall WIndows XP 32-bit on saturday and use the new drivers than.

I'll be back and tell what happened on my Dell

5 Posts

December 6th, 2009 05:00

Hi there,

it worked pretty well. I'm satisfied  and thank you for the link.

Greets, DerFanta

June 20th, 2013 04:00

I have had the identical problems with my Vostro 1500. I was concerned, but upgraded to Windows7 Professional and I now have no problems at all.

June 20th, 2013 11:00

I upgraded to Windows 7 Pro and now have no problems at all -- it may be the driver in XP.

No Events found!