Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2010 03:00

Vostro 1510 flashing num lock light

Our Vostro 1510 looks like it's powered up, minus any display.  The power light is on, as well as the CAPS lock light, scroll lock light, and the NUM lock light is flashing.  I can't seem to find anything that explains what that light configuration is telling me.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

3 Posts

April 16th, 2011 10:00

I simply removed the RAM and re-installed.  Google the process for step by step how to and pictures.

2 Posts

August 20th, 2010 17:00

My sister-in-law has the same exact symptoms on her Vostro 1510.  The charging cable is not providing power to the laptop or charging the battery, so it won't boot.  From the research I've done, it could be a bad motherboard, power interface where the cable plugs in, and many others.  I'm hoping someone has had this diagnosed and fixed, and care share the solution with us.

3 Posts

August 21st, 2010 01:00

After doing some other research on-line, I saw a suggestion of re-seating the processor or the RAM.  I removed the RAM cards and re-seated them.  Fixed the problem!!  May not fix this problem for everyone, but it turned out to work for me.

2 Posts

August 21st, 2010 09:00

That worked for me as well!  I opened the access panels on the bottom, took out the RAM, reversed the two cards, and put them back in.  I also took out the hard drive, and put that back in, but I'm sure it was re-seating the RAM that did it.  I guess it had nothing to do with the battery or the charging system.  My sister-in-law was getting ready to buy a new laptop, but this saved her lots of money.  I hope others can benefit from this simple solution!  I found this website very helpful for pictures of how to gain access to the Vostro 1510 parts:

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/take-apart-dell-vostro-1510-notebook/

1 Message

April 2nd, 2011 01:00

According to DELL, Flashing num lock and both caps and scroll lock steadily being on indicates a motherboard problem.

However, if switching your ram around really worked for you, that's great.  It doesn't make much sense, though.

1 Message

April 16th, 2011 10:00

I'm having the same issue with my computer. If you found a solution please tell me

thanks

1 Message

January 10th, 2012 05:00

Yes! It worked for me! Removed and switched the RAM chips

Thnks!

1 Message

January 16th, 2012 17:00

Yes, a RAM problem for me as well: one of the two modules is not working anymore. Once removed, the system is ok!!!

Thanks alot!

April 4th, 2012 23:00

My laptop having same problem and resteeing the RAM didint worked for me.

If anyone had any solution.Please Share. :(

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

April 5th, 2012 02:00

Hi Abhijeet Garg,

Welcome to the Community,

If the system has 2 RAM modules,try booting system with one module at a time.Try the same module on both the slots.

If you could post your system model  and status of the Num lock,Caps lock,Scroll lock key that would help to isolate the point of failure.

Thank You

Roshan.

1 Message

May 25th, 2012 11:00

I had the same problem with one in my shop.  Removed the power from the system before opening it up (unplugged power supply and removed the battery)  removed the 2 memory modules, swapped them and it now boots up.

Thanks, guys.

Marc

1 Message

May 28th, 2012 12:00

Worked for me tooooooo. I re-seated both the RAMs and changed their places, after it, it started working alright. Thanks a bundle :D

1 Message

June 28th, 2012 13:00

how did you unlock the caps

1 Message

September 16th, 2012 13:00

These is my first time ever responding or sharing in any type of board but I had to do since I am so happy and grateful with the post first I most say that there is nobody else out dare more clueless when it come to computer so if I could do these any body else can I had the exact same problem with my Dell Vostro 1510 the "flashing 9 lock" symbol the second thing I did after reading the suggestion of reversing the rams I lookup on Youtube how to replace the rams on a Dell laptop after that I follow the instructions reverse de rams and problem resolve. I know somebody else on here said that logically the rams reinstallation or reversing should not be able to fix that particular problem but take if from somebody who 1st of all  "did it" since nothing to do with computer is easy or logical and second  I"It work for me" and I am almost sure it will work for you.

Thanks You so much Guys I Love You LOL

24 Posts

January 11th, 2013 16:00

Have you found a Solution... ? Have you Tried to change the bios chip? maybe your bios is corrupted...

please contact me on dc2ni (at) gmx.de ... (at) is @

No Events found!