Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 23rd, 2012 08:00

Vostro 1520 Keyboard & Touchpad with Windows 7

We have a Vostro 1520 that is a couple of years old. It came preinstalled with Vista, but also Windows 7 upgrade. A couple of weeks ago I did a fresh install of Windows 7. Now, I am having trouble with the keyboard and touchpad. When the system boots into Windows, the touchpad doesn't work. So I uninstall the touchpad driver, reboot, then the touchpad is working, but then the keyboard has stopped working. And it goes on like that.

I've searched extensively on the internet and someone suggested that the BIOS might need update. It is now running A08, but it hasn't made a different.

Please help! This does not appear to be a hardware issue.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

August 23rd, 2012 09:00

Hi Sebyoung,

You have upgraded the system to Windows 7, so it is advised you update the chipset and touchpad drivers. Please elaborate on the keyboard problem.

1. When does it stop working?
  2.  What are the symptoms?
  3. Are you able to login to the computer by entering the password (if available)?
  4. Please try to access BIOS and let me know the status.

To access BIOS,

1. Restart the computer and press F2 on the Dell logo.
  2. Check if you are able to boot into BIOS.
  3. If you are able to get into BIOS; hit ‘ESC’ to exit from BIOS.

To update the chipset driver, click on the link,

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats/Product/vostro-1520?DriverId=T11C4&FileId=2731109895&urlProductCode=False

1. Click on ‘Download File’
  2. Save the File
  3. Right click and choose ‘Run as Administrator’
  4. Restart the computer

To update the touchpad drivers, click on the link,

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats/Product/vostro-1520?DriverId=R252187&FileId=2731128714&urlProductCode=False

1. Click on ‘Download File’
  2. Save the File
  3. Right click and choose ‘Run as Administrator’
  4. Restart the computer

Alternately, try running the ‘Dell Diagnostics’ to ensure that hardware is working well.

To run the ‘Dell Diagnostics’

1. Power off the computer
  2. Restart the computer, press F12 on the Dell logo
  3. Select Diagnostics from the boot menu
  4. Please refer to the link if any error code shows up

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=266787&doclang=en&l=en&s=dhs

You can also try reseating the keyboard:

Note: Please ensure that all peripherals are disconnected; battery is removed and AC Adaptor is unplugged from the computer.

1. Remove the hinge cover from the computer

2. Remove the two screws that secure the keyboard to the computer.

3. Lift the back edge of the keyboard slightly and slide the keyboard toward the back of the computer.

4. Open the keyboard data cable clip to free the ribbon cable.

5. Remove the keyboard data cable from the clip.

6. Remove the keyboard from the computer.

The BIOS should not be a problem because A08 is the latest version.

Do write back for further questions.

2 Posts

August 23rd, 2012 10:00

Thanks; I installed the chipset drivers, but no luck. I then installed the touchpad drivers, which were already installed, but I did it anyway - no luck. I then removed the touchpad drivers and deleted from system, rather than just uninstalling the device. For now, both the keyboard and touchpad are now working. Hopefully it will last. Thanks!

2 Posts

August 23rd, 2012 12:00

Reading this with interest as it may help with my problem with the mouse buttons becoming unresponsive.  I am considering uninstalling the touchpad driver and would like to know what happens then. Does it automatically reininstall itself once the laptop is rebooted?  How do you reinstall the driver if it is deleted from the system?

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

August 23rd, 2012 13:00

Hi Sebyoung,

Thanks for the response and glad to know that the system is working well. This should last. Please keep me posted if you have any further queries.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

August 23rd, 2012 14:00

Hi Freddles,

Thank you for sharing the issue.

To uninstall the touchpad driver, please follow the step:

1. Click on Start
  2. Right click on Computer -> click on Properties
  3. Click on Device Manager
  4. Expand ‘Mice and other pointing devices’, choose Dell Touchpad
  5. Right click -> choose ‘Uninstall’
  6. Restart the computer.

Note: After rebooting the computer, the generic touchpad drivers will be installed. However you may not be able to make changes to the touchpad settings.

In order to make the touchpad work properly and to be able to change the settings, it is necessary to install the drivers. Please reply with the system model and the operating system installed on the computer so that I can assist you further.

No Events found!