Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 15th, 2009 15:00

Vostro 1700 HDD and memory upgrade

Hi!

I want to upgrade HDD on my Vostro 1700 with another one of 500 GB @7200RPM (must have) and replace the memory (2x1024) with 2 x 2048.

I have heard some rumors that the power supply on vostro 1700 models is not able to do the trick with a 500 GB HDD and that it will crash in time. Is this true? And what type of HDD is fully compliant with the HDD carrier that this type of laptop has? I know that I can use any 2.5" 9.5 mm SATA notebook drive, but isn`t there any limitations on max HDD power consumption or something ?.

Is SATA II supported on this laptop, because I haven`t been able to figure it out so far. What model/brand of HDD do you think is best considering that the only option that I have found at my local dealer is the 500GB@7200 Seagate Momentus. Does WD/SAMSUNG/FUJITSU have equivalents so far ( @7200RPM) ?

I would like to upgrade the memory also to Dual Channel Kit Kingston 4096MB (2 x 2048), DDR2, 667 Mhz, HyperX having CL4 (4-4-4-12). Does it works on my laptop considering that as far as I know there are some BIOS limitations with this model regarding the memory timings, meaning that the BIOS isn`t able to "load" the timings by SPD on this model.

Thx!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 15th, 2009 15:00

Any of the 9.5 mm 500 G notebook drives will work - the larger 12.5 mm drives from Fujitsu and Toshiba won't fit.  Fujitsu is exiting the hard drive business - they have sold their drive operations to Toshiba.  The controller supports SATA 3G.

As for RAM, if you want a guarantee of compatibility, Kingston has KTD RAM guaranteed to work. 

8 Posts

June 16th, 2009 15:00

Thx. I know that any 9,5 mm will fit. As about SATA II i was refering to the Vostro 1700 mobo not the embedded HDD controler. It is obvious that these days a 500 GB HDD comes only with SATA II, native comand etc...Question is, does the laptop has support for SATA II ? Also, any sugestions for product/brand (500 GB @7200 RPM)? My only option is a Seagate Momentus so far. It`s the only one that I was able to find at my local dealer. Does WD released a competitor so far?

How about power supply? Does it have enough power to sustain such consumption? Anybody that has a Vostro 1700 with 500 GB HDD@ 7200? Do you have problems with it ?

As for memory upgrade, what is KTD RAM? Never heared of it. A product manufacturer code? Premium class product? High-end memory modules? The ones I`m planning to buy have the following product code: KHX5300S2LLK2/4G @ CL4 (4-4-4-12).

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 24th, 2009 15:00

There's no such thing as "SATA II". If you're asking about SATA 3G, yes, the system fully supports it.   No, it makes no performance difference - the drive, not the interface, is the limiting factor - and a 7200 rpm drive will sustain just under half what SATA 150 supports.

The power is not a factor - in fact, some 7200 rpm drives use LESS power than some 5400s.

Kingston parts that begin with KTD are certified to work in Dell systems.  Others are not.

8 Posts

June 24th, 2009 15:00

Any ideeas? I would really apreciate an answer. Thx.

8 Posts

June 24th, 2009 16:00

There was such thing as SATA II. Wikipedia quote:

Popular usage may refer to the SATA 3 Gbit/s specification as Serial ATA II (SATA II or SATA2), contrary to the wishes of the Serial ATA International Organization (SATA-IO) which defines the standard. SATA II was originally the name of a committee defining updated SATA standards, of which the 3 Gbit/s standard was just one. However since it was among the most prominent features defined by the former SATA II committee, and, more critically, the term "II" is commonly used for successors, the name SATA II became synonymous with the 3 Gbit/s standard, so the group has since changed names to the Serial ATA International Organization, or SATA-IO, to avoid further confusion.

Tehnically speaking, you have a point. So be it.

So the laptop supports 3G. Great. Thx. I know that the performance gain between SATA 150 and 3G is allmost nothing in reality. But thx, anyway. As for the HDD power consumption, I was just asking cause of some rummors I heared. I know that it shouldn`t be any problems but you never really know. Does anybody have a 500GB@7200 on Vostro 1700? How does it work? I really want to know if it`s worth the investment considering that now I have a 250GB Fujitsu@5400. As I allready said, I was thinking at Seagate Momentus. I don`t see any other options at this time.

About the Kingston modules, ok I`ve got it. Thx. But I was thinking about this ones. I think KTD`s are too expensive for now.

KHX5300S2LLK2/4G - 4GB - 667MHz - Low-Latency DDR2 CL4 4-4-4-12    1.8v

What do you think about them ?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 24th, 2009 17:00

I think you should make sure you understand your vendor's restock/return charge policies - the memory may or may not work.

1 Message

December 6th, 2011 09:00

My Vostro 1700 has 500Gb Western Digital in it and it performs great!

No Events found!