Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2009 04:00

Vostro 1700 series Charger problem

Hi all

I have a Vostro and every now and then when I boot up it tells me I have the wrong AC Adapter. The goes on to tell me "Press F1 to continue (which I do) but it also has instructions to diagnose and advises me to get a genuine AC Adapter.

I am obviously using the adapter that came with the laptop which is 18 months old.

The laptop works fine, fully functional, the battery charges and all is good apart from is seems to run a lot slower so I have to re-boot.

Anyone else have this annoying problem?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 7th, 2009 05:00

First thing to try is a new Dell adapter - if it does the same, then the power jack on the mainboard needs to be replaced.

7 Posts

August 7th, 2009 06:00

Check the power rating on the adapter... It's probably the standard 90... but I'm not sure.  Dell laptops are fairly ubiquitous... so use someone else's adapter and/or try your adapter on their lappy.  Just make absolutely certain the power rating of the adapter is the same... read the fine print.  If their laptop gives the power adapter message with your adapter... its a problem with your adapter.  If you use their adapter on your lappy and don't get the message, again its your adapter that has the problem.  However, if you use their adapter on your lappy and then still get the message, I'd look at hardware/software on the lappy.

Being a skeptic, I'd actually try to reimage my machine or mess with hardware settings before spending the cash on a new adapter.  Just make certain the issue isn't software or settings related before spending money when you don't need to... everyone needs to save these days!  You can also try updating the power management drivers/software before spending the money on a new adapter or pc repair.  I'm not totally sure you can just replace the jack on the motherboard... but maybe you can.  Any type of service on the laptop itself (without warranty) is not going to be cheap.

No Events found!