Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 25th, 2012 00:00

Vostro 3300 won't start

I was working on my Vostro 3300 last night until it completely ran out of battery and shut itself down. I plugged my AC adapter in, and the battery status indicator went on (I believe the steady light means that the battery is charging), but the notebook would not turn on. I tried to press the power button for a very long time, as well as taking the battery out and in again, but nothing helps. I tried using two different AC adapters, and with both the batter status light went on (until a couple of hours later when it went off - probably since the battery is now fully charged), but still the notebook won't turn on. Any idea what could go wrong and how can this be fixed ? Thanks!

3 Posts

February 25th, 2012 00:00

Hi, I have exactly the same problem, laptop few weeks old, Inspirion 14z, Battery was low, i went to sleep modus. I plugged  in, and the battery status indicator went on but laptop does not switch on. Anyone knows a trick? Thanks Christian

2 Posts

February 25th, 2012 01:00

Update on my issue above: Problem resolved, though I still don't understand how... After 10s of attempts to disconnect from AC adapter, reconnect, remove and re-insert battery, short and long presses on the power button etc., all of them with no results, suddenly a short press on the power button turned the damn thing on :)

I'm assuming that something went wrong when the laptop put itself to sleep as the battery ran flat, and it went into kind of a comma that took various attempts to recover from...

3 Posts

February 25th, 2012 03:00

I am glad that yours worked again. However it is not acceptable for private and business reasons that the battery goes to coma, it so basic, this has been the last purchase for me

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

February 28th, 2012 15:00

ogolan17

I am happy to read that your notebook is up and running again.  It does sound like there was a problem when the notebook went to sleep.  Once stopped trying to resume from sleep and booted normally it came right up.

Christian

It sounds like you are still unable to start the notebook.  If so remove both the AC adapter and the battery from the notebook. Hold the power button for a few seconds and then reconnect the AC adapter and see if the notebook will start.  If the notebook still will not boot try opening the BIOS.  Start the system tapping F2 and see if anything happens.  If you are able to get an image on the screen now try diagnostics.  Ether start the system holding FN or by tapping F12 and choose diagnostics.  Reply back with the results.

If the system isn't showing any power at all, no LEDs light, no sound, remove the battery and try plugging the ac adapter in different power outlets.  If you have a spare AC adapter swap them out and see if it makes a difference. See if the problem follows the notebook or the AC adapter.

Please let me know what you find out.

TB

1 Message

April 16th, 2012 23:00

I'm having a similar problem.  I was working using the battery on my computer. Before it ran out of power, I closed the computer, went back to my office and plugged it in. The computer wouldn't turn on, and the light on the power adapter actually went out. I've tried removing the battery and plugging it in, I've tried different adapters, different outlets, nothing. No lights on the computer or on the adapter. The problem definitely follows the computer, not the adapter.

No Events found!