Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 20th, 2017 20:00

Vostro 3400 bios update failed

My computer has been failing the fan then I found in a tutorial that had to update the bios to be able to configure the speed. When updating through Windows, the update program rebooted the pc but the leds were on and the black screen for a long time and did nothing else.

Try to turn off the computer by pressing the power button but nothing happens then disconnect the battery.

Then I turned the computer back on and the multimedia LEDs lit one after the other and the screen did not turn on.
I have tried several things to fix it that worked on other Vostro models but for my case they have not worked.

en.community.dell.com/.../19593398

www.cnet.com/.../

Could someone please help me?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 21st, 2017 05:00

You have two options:

Locate a shop that can unsolder the BIOS chip, flash it externally and re-solder it, or

Replace the mainboard.

Since this system is older, boards run well under $100 -- so if you can replace the board yourself it'll be cheaper to use option 2.

March 23rd, 2017 10:00

Maybe you're right, since I've tried everything and nothing works. Luckily in my city there are some experts fixing laptops and I will talk to them if it is possible to get another board.

Also buying another motherboard would fix the problem of the fan, because as I said, this was the main cause of the damage.

Thank you very much for the reply!!!!!!!

No Events found!