Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2015 15:00

Vostro 3450 boot with external monitor only

I have Vostro 3450. Because my lcd screen hinging and cover back were broken, it will not be able to closed or stand upright. I connect it to external monitor through VGA port, and removed lcd screen, lcd screen hinging and back cover. It works well. The problem is I have to reconnect lcd screen to the motherboard every time in order to boot to windows. Otherwise, it will refuse to boot and continues beeping (8 beeps). I know it indicates display failure (laptop lcd screen). My question is: how can I have computer continue to boot with only external monitor (no laptop lcd screen and annoy beeping sound)? Your help will be a great appreciate! Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

October 27th, 2015 12:00

Hi hkpm8gb,

Thanks for posting.  There's a switch that opens and closes when the screen is open or closed.  On older systems the switch was visible, usually on the strip above the keyboard.  On newer ones, it's very often a magnet hidden in the frame of the LCD panel that activates a switch built into the mainboard when you close the cover.

You could try going to Power Options in the Control Panel, and on the left-hand side there should be a label for "Choose what to do when the lid is closed" and then an option to "Do Nothing".

Hope this helps. 

Regards,
Robert

4 Posts

October 28th, 2015 09:00

Hi, Robert, thank you for your replying. 

LCD panel and back cover has been removed (those are broken)  and it prevents the laptop to boot. is there a way to boot the computer with external monitor? thanks.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

October 29th, 2015 12:00

You could try going to Power Options in the Control Panel, and on the left-hand side there should be a label for "Choose what to do when the lid is closed" and then an option to "Do Nothing".

4 Posts

October 29th, 2015 15:00

Hello DELL-ROBERT, thank you for your help. it doesn't  work. It still won't boot without Lcd panel.  I think there is maybe something in the BIOS setting not in the windows. However, I couldn't find the setting in BIOS. Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

November 2nd, 2015 11:00

I'm unable to find any information that substantiates your thoughts on this.  If you are unable to "fool" the system by running a magnet around the edge where the lid would have been and that's not working, then I'm unable to find any of the technicians who have a solution to your issue.

-Robert

No Events found!