Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2017 01:00

Vostro 3460: Blank screen and no POST, boots occasionally only

Hi,

I have a Dell Vostro 3460 purchased several years ago. It shows the exact same issue and behavior as described in http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/20003103.

If the machine starts up, everything is fine. But it takes a reasonable numer of power-cycles until POST comes up. The problems arised several months ago and the effect seemed to increase over time. At first, the machine was occasionally not booting. Currently, it is the other way round. It occasionally boots up only.

At one time beeing lucky and getting the machine through POST I ran the diagnostics with Fn+POWER. No issues found except that it complained about the missing battery, which indeed wasn't installed at this time.

I also tried

- Disconnecting the hard drive -> no change

- Replacing the RAM -> no change

- Removing the RAM -> beep code (as expected)

- pressing D+POWER -> display test runs (I see colors) -> no POST

I would very much appreciate your assistance. Thank you!

• 

16.7K Posts

September 27th, 2017 07:00

mv150,

Run the ePSA Diagnostics by following the information below. If nothings fails you may consider formatting and reinstalling Windows and Drivers. 

Dell Vostro 3460 Drivers, Downloads and  Manuals

4 Posts

September 27th, 2017 09:00

Thanks for the immediate response.

I (once again) ran the ePSA, which reported no errors.

Re-installing Windows is not an option at the moment. I very much doubt that the hard drive or even the files on it are part of the problem, since the issue occurs without the hard drive even connected to the motherboard.

As I already stated, the issue and behavior of my machine is the exact same as described in this older post: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/20003103. So I would really like to try the solution suggested there, but unfortunately the final communication in that post was carried out via personal messages, and so I can not read it.

Do you have any further suggestions?

• 

16.7K Posts

September 27th, 2017 11:00

mv150,

Start the computer and tap the F2  key to enter the bios. Once in the bios press  the F9 key to restore the defaults. Save the changes. If you haven't updated the bios you can do that as well. 

4 Posts

September 27th, 2017 13:00

Resetting the BIOS defaults did have no effect.

Updating the BIOS unfortunately does not work either.

On Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit:

- Downloaded latest version 3460_A19.exe

- Ran 3460_A19.exe with administrator provileges

- ERROR 216 - Failed to read BIOS from ROM! Status = 1604

I also tried using a MS-DOS 98 usb flash drive:

C:\>3460_A19.EXE

[Extractor] Unpacking files. please wait...

[Extractor] Run file.

Phoenix SCT Flash for DOS V1.3.21.1 Build 120717

with customized for Dell V0.7.5

Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.

Read BIOS image from file.

SecureFlash BIOS detected.

Initialize Flash module.

Read current BIOS.

ERROR 216 - Failed to read BIOS from ROM! Status = 1604.

[Extractor] Delete files.

[Extractor] Done.

• 

16.7K Posts

September 29th, 2017 06:00

mv150,

Format and reinstall Windows 7, drivers and software back into the system.

4 Posts

September 29th, 2017 13:00

Dear Jesse,

I am very sorry, but repeatedly requesting me to reinstall Windows is not helpful and won't solve my issue. A possibly corrupted operating system installation is very unlikely related to POST issues. I am convinced the issue is clearly related to a hardware problem. To prove this statement, I did the following:

1. Completely disassembled the laptop, so that I have access to the motherboard

2. Only connected power button, AC input, display and memory to the mainboard. I even disconnected the WiFi/Ethernet board located at the top right.

With that minimal setup, I observed the exact same behaviour as described earlier: Occasionally will show up POST and the Dell logo after pressing the power button. In most cases, the power LED and the power button will light up, nothing else.

This clearly proves that the issue in NOT related to the hard disk or any files on it. At the point at which the boot process fails the laptop does not even know that there is a hard drive attached. So re-installing windows would definitely not help.

I am very sorry, but I have the feeling that the you are  just following default support directives instead of taking into account my detailed descriptions of my diagnostics. I am not satisfied with the support here, sorry.

From other postings in this forum I was pointed towards a potential failure of the motherboard. So I ordered a replacement part on eBay. I hope this will help.

Regards

Markus

No Events found!