Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2011 10:00

Vostro 3500 - Windows XP support/installation - graphics

I have just purchased a Vostro 3500 from the Dell Outlet but I need to install Windows XP to "fit with the corporate standard". Before buying the 3500 I checked that there were XP drivers available as I can't afford for this to be an issue. Unfortunately I probably should have done a bit of Googling rather than just relying on the Dell website. After a few searches I am beginning to think that the Vostro 3500 isn't supported with Windows XP after all.

I have managed to get everything to work apart from the graphics but now I'm stuck. Can anyone shed any light on how Dell managed to install the graphics drivers for this machine?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 1st, 2011 15:00

Sam

If the 3500 shipped with Integrated Intel video the drivers will be located from the following link.

If you have discreet Nvidia drivers they are located here

The thing about this that concerns me is if you purchased a system with switchable graphics.  Unfortunately there is no Windows XP support at all and it may be why you are having problems installing the drivers.

TB

April 2nd, 2011 03:00

Terry,

I believe I have a Vostro 3500 without switchable graphics (there is no option to change the graphics in the BIOS and I have checked that it is the latest version A10). However I have tried both of the drivers that you have indicated and neither of them will install properly.

Running the Nvidia installation only installs the HD Audio driver component and will not recognise the graphics. If I "force" the graphics driver installation (by using the 'Update driver > Have disk' route) then this causes the machine to BSOD after reboot (you then have to disable the graphics under 'Device Manager').

Running the Intel installation installs one of the other chipset component drivers (can't remember exactly which one, possibly the Intel Management Engine) but it also does not recognise the graphics hardware.

After a lot of digging I found an updated graphics driver on the Intel website which did install giving me some graphics capability (native resolution etc). Unfortunately I could not find any drivers to work with the Nvidia card so I have permanently disabled this in 'Device Manager'. Fortunately the application that we will be running on this laptop does not require "serious" graphics so this work around will be okay. However I am disappointed that the drivers on the Dell support website simply do not work. I have spoken with a number of other frustrated customers and many of them have reported the same issues. Some of them have even gone to the extent of returning their purchases as a result.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 4th, 2011 18:00

I understand your concern.  The BIOS will not give a hybrid option listed for systems for switchable graphics, so that is certainly not any indication that this is not a system with switchable graphics. If you wish, please feel free to shoot me the express service code and service tag via private message and I will be happy to take a look at the system inventory and find out if this is a system with switchable graphics and is not compatible with XP or, if this is a system that the XP drivers should work fine with.

TB

April 13th, 2011 12:00

Hi Terry,

I have the same problem,

I just receive 3 x Vostro 3500 Laptop Config 67.

All of them are suposed to have a Nvidia® Geforce™ 310M, 512MB Graphics but i'm no able to install the XP driver avalable on the Dell web site.

I PM you the 3 service tag for verification.

If, these laptop do not support XP, I will need an exchange.

Regards.

Sam.

1 Message

June 7th, 2011 14:00

Sam,

Do you remember the graphics driver on the intel website that you found? I have the same issue and I don't have a workaround yet.

Thank you in advance

June 8th, 2011 07:00

Hi,

I didn't find any working driver for XP, I have returned the Vostro to Dell for a refund.

Sorry.

June 9th, 2011 14:00

I am going to take a look at the laptop and try to find the Intel driver that I used. Unfortunately the laptop is out in the field with one of our staff at the moment and I don't have access to it to check.

January 29th, 2012 08:00

Sorry for starting again this thread but have you  got any solution about this?

I have similar case unfortunately!

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Regards.

No Events found!