Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 19th, 2014 02:00

Vostro 3500 doesn't start up

Hello everybody,

I have this problem with my DELL VOSTRO 3500; when I press the power button the PC doesn't start up, instead the led flashes (together with the play/pause and the frontal power ones).

I already read and tried what is described here and here, with no success. In fact I didn't try to use another AC adapter/power cable, but I'm not sure that the problem is there. In my case the led flash every 5 seconds when I plug the power, while with the battery its only one time.

I also tried to remove parts one at the time: HDD, optical drive, RAM, button buttery and finally the entire palm rest, but I couldn't see anything relevant. Nothing changed.

Thing that might be a lot relevant is that I smell something like burnt plastic near the  network connector and USB port.

I bought this PC during winter 2010, and it had already a problem with the motherboard, that however had been changed immediately. I don't know if 3/4 years are a lot for such a machine (considering that I use it most of the time), however I also recently had a HDD failure, so I substitute the original one with a SAMSUNG 840 EvO SSD 2.5''. I'm like loosing trust in the product.

I'm asking if there is a way for me to fix the issue. If instead is a problem with the motherboard, how much would it cost to change/repair it? Any other suggestions or advice is more than welcomed.

Thanks for the attention,

Best
Alex

May 26th, 2014 04:00

Hi 5agado,

It looks like a motherboard failure, as there is no power on the system. I appreciate you tried the steps already.
You can put the piece back in and try to turn on the system. If it works fine then continue using the system or if it does the same thing then I would suggest to contact local technician or talk to our out of warranty department to get it fixed. Let me know if you need more help and we'll be happy to check.

3 Posts

May 21st, 2014 12:00

Is your computer still covered under a warranty?  I would call this in, if something smells like burnt plastic, a wiring to your power button may have died.  Since you took your computer apart, I wonder if Dell would find that a problem, but good luck with that.  As you have taken the computer apart, that piece that you found "floating around" might be hard to explain.

5 Posts

May 21st, 2014 12:00

Up.
I was excepting to get at least a feedback on the situation and the cost to change/repair the motherboard.

By the way I also found this piece "going around" inside the laptop. Not sure if it is only structural or even functional. Here a picture:

Again, a feedback would be appreciated.

Best
Alex

5 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 02:00

As I said I bought it during winter of 2010, so is not anymore under a warranty.

The problem is that the power arrives to the pc and the power button seems to work, but it shows this strange behavior of continuous flashing lights. It do this practically automatic when I connect the power cable.

That piece should come from the border of the hole of the RAM slots, the one you see when you remove the back cover. However given that it should touch the metallic part on the back cover I was thinking that maybe it has some connectivity purpose.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 26th, 2014 05:00

If you have to pay for labor to have the board replaced, the total cost will exceed $300 -- it's better to replace the system than repair it.

5 Posts

May 26th, 2014 05:00

Thanks Mohammed, I appreciate the reply.

Yeah, now I don't even need to push the power button; as soon as I insert the power cable it start flashing.

I would like to know if you can give me the approximate cost of a complete motherboard change, given that I'm out of the warranty period.

I need to understand what is better for me: buy a new laptop or repair this one?

Thanks again

Best

Alex

May 27th, 2014 06:00

Hi 5agado,

It depends on the region your located. We are support team and we dont know the exact price how ever I will check with the out of warranty repair team and get back to you with an update. I will be more than happy to arrange a call back for you. If you want a call back please send me a Private Message, click on my user name, add me as a friend, and send me your Service Tag, phone number, email and address.

5 Posts

May 29th, 2014 12:00

Thanks everybody for the feedback.

Some friend of mine confirmed the motherboard failure so, given that the pc is about 4 years old, I decided to just start searching for a new one.

Best
Alex

June 1st, 2014 01:00

Hi 5agado,

We hope your query was answered. If you have any further queries please feel free to reach out to us.

No Events found!