Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 4th, 2012 07:00

Vostro 3500 won't turn on

Greetings all,

When I press the power button on my Vostro 3500, the power button and pause/play button flash, but it does not turn on.  The power button and the pause/play button will flash every 5 seconds.

I have tried removing / re-seating the battery and ram with no success.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott

1 Message

April 30th, 2015 09:00

Hello swholmes,

I have one small question for you: Did you dis-assemble the laptop by any chance?

I had this same issue and I had dis-assembled for cleaning the fan exhaust (the laptop was overheating)

The problem was that I had removed the CPU and when I put it back, I forgot to turn the screw that holds the CPU to the 'locked' position. When I did this one thing, the problem was solved!

Hope it helps you as this solved my problem!

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

November 5th, 2012 04:00

Hi swholmes,

Please release flea power and run the test to check the hardware is working as designed. Follow the steps below to release the excess flea power.

Switch off the system; remove the battery, ac adapter and the power cable. Press and hold down the power button for thirty seconds to drain any excess flea power and run the test. Please run the PSA hardware diagnostics to check if the hardware is working as designed. Follow the steps below.

Turn the computer off >restart the computer

At the Dell logo screen, start tapping the F12 key a few times until you see the ‘One Time Boot Menu’ appear.

At the one time boot menu, press the down arrow key to highlight ‘Diagnostic’, and then press Enter to begin the PSA diagnostics.

If the test fails, please make a note of any error codes listed. You can also refer to the link below.

http://dell.to/i5zbDR

Please do reply for further assistance.

4 Posts

November 5th, 2012 07:00

Thank you for your reply.

I followed the steps and did not have any luck.  The laptop does not turn on, no Dell logo appears.  Only the Power button and the Pause/Play button flashes briefly every 5 seconds or so.

Thank you for your time,

Scott

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

November 6th, 2012 05:00

Hi swholmes,

Please let us know the status of the LED lock lights in the laptop, I have given a sample of the LED light status which is mentioned below.

Meanwhile, I would also request you to send a private message with your system service tag, as I need to check a few more details about the computer. In order to send a private message, please accept my friend request, click on my user name and click start conversation.

4 Posts

November 6th, 2012 06:00

Thank you again - none of those lights are on.  The only lights that come on (and flash briefly) are the power and pause/play.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

November 13th, 2012 07:00

Hi swholmes,

Since you have mentioned that only the power and pause/play light is flashing, this may be an issue with the motherboard. I would request you to send a private message with your system service tag, as I need to check a few more details about the computer. In order to send a private message, please accept my friend request, click on my user name and click start conversation.

July 28th, 2013 11:00

Hi Senthil,

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem with my Vostro 3700. Did you find a solution for swholmes?

It would be great to hear from you with a brief suggestion.

Best regards from Hamburg, Germany

Tom

5 Posts

December 11th, 2013 08:00

this is typical dell support, you give them an explanation of what happens, they ask you to check something that has no relation to your problem whatsoever, and then you have to create a ticket because they can get the issue resolved.THEN they don't notify you of any progress on the matter.

dell support is utterly appalling, especially considering the fact that you have to sell a kidney to buy one of their products, and then you get this type of responce from them.... 

December 11th, 2013 09:00

Hi, it's been some time since I last frequented this thread. My Vostro 3700 apparently had an issue with the MB and a new one would cost about 400 euros (500 USD) - which meant, that my 2 yrs. 3 months old DELL had to be thrown in the dump (the warranty  here in Germany is two yrs.). Så much for buying a DELL - will never happen again. As a matter of fact I'm writing this post on an 8 yrs. old DELL Inspiron 630m which still works. The old DELLs were high quality - but the new ones NOT.

5 Posts

December 11th, 2013 11:00

it is a hardware related issue, since dell support didn't come back to me i decided to fix it myself, it's the network card,it's a small card that slots into your motherboard, the network port and 2 usb's sits on the card, i can't see how that is $500....i will never ever buy a dell in my life, the support is non-existent and the hardware is of poor quality,and like i said, you have to sell a kidney to get it fixed....

September 27th, 2014 12:00

Hi Scott, Have your issue resolved? My laptop vostro 3500 is experiencing same issue. Only multimedia key flashes. But one thing I noticed, if I try again after an hour or so it work perfectly but as soon as I shutdown and again try to start it wont start, it will flashes only those keys.

1 Message

January 22nd, 2016 02:00

THANK YOU!!! :D

That did the trick! May it help everyone :)) Have a great weekend

No Events found!