Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2016 06:00

Vostro 3550 automatically restarts (loop) each 3 seconds

*** Dell Support,

I've got an issue with a Vostro 3550 laptop.

When I turn the laptop on, it just doesn't boot up at all but it automatically resarts every 3 seconds meanwhile the screen is black.  The power button,  fan, 3 side buttons and also the front power indicator flash during this period. Its happens the same when it is on battery and when the power cable is connected.

I did the following tests meanwhile:

1. Remove the battery and power cable and press the power button for 1 min and try to switch on.

2. Remove the cmos battery for 10 min  and do the procedure #1

3. Remove RAM memories one by one and do the procedure #1.

4. Measure the voltage at the connector of power adapter (it was 19.3v)

5. Measure voltage at the power circuit  inside the laptop for any possible problem with laptop on board  power connector and  it was ok.

6. I checked for any disconnected ribbon or cable but everything was fine.

Anyone got any ideas what the issue is or what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Eris

October 2nd, 2016 16:00

Hi Eris,

Thanks for writing to us

When did the issue start?

Would it be possible for you to try a different hard drive or this hard drive on another machine?

How about diagnostics? Please run diagnostics from f12 (should it allow) menu and let us know.

Do provide us your system tag#, email address and name via private message,by clicking on my name in blue and then select send a private message

Regards

2 Posts

October 3rd, 2016 14:00

Hello Hema,

I have good news. I reached to switch it on today for few minutes and i got the blue screen with window error:    memory_management.      

Then i read about this error and i understood that it was an error related with RAM.

I removed once again both RAM-s.   I have one 4gb and one 2gb.  

Later i tried placing again inside the slot.  I placed first only RAM 4gb and tried to switch on,  but was the same thing, same problem.

Then i placed only  RAM 2gb and suddenly it worked . The laptop continued the startup normally.

So the problem was one of the RAM memories.

Now im using the system with only  2gb RAM but i need to buy another one soon coz this is two small for this laptop.

However thank you for the fast reply and support.

Have a great time.

Eris.

331 Posts

October 6th, 2016 15:00

Hi Eris,

Thanks for you're reply and keeping us posted on the status.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

No Events found!