Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 15th, 2013 17:00

Vostro 3555 - Replaced DC Jack/VGA Board

The original DC jack will allow the laptop to run with the AC adapter (genuine Dell), but the battery does not charge.  There is also a crack in the plastic housing for the jack, and the round, plastic centerpiece that protects the pin is missing.  I ordered a new part (PFYC8), but the laptop would not power on.  In fact, the green power light on the AC adapter goes out as soon as I connect it to the DC jack.  If I remove the DC jack board and connect the AC adapter, the green power light stays on.  But as soon as I put the board in place...and press the motherboard into the DC jack board receiver...the green light goes out.  I ordered the same part from another supplier, but had the same result.  The original board still allows me to use the laptop; just cannot charge the battery.  Does anyone have an idea of what might be going on?  Thank you.

1 Message

February 7th, 2014 17:00

You are using the wrong part.  PFYC8 is for the Intel-based motherboard, but if you have the AMD processor the correct part is MPH7J.  I made the same mistake trying to save a few dollars!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 15th, 2013 18:00

If you haven't tried a new adapter, that's next -- if you have (or do) , to no effect it's the mainboard that's faulty.

April 15th, 2013 18:00

Thanks for responding, ejn63.  Yes, I have tried another Dell adapter.  The same thing happens...the power light shuts off the second I connect it to the DC jack.  

1 Message

February 2nd, 2014 15:00

I have the same issue only I have replaced both the DC board and the main motherboard and the same thing continues to happen. The power supply shorts out when connected to the DC port. I tested the new DC board not connected to the motherboard and it worked, but as soon as I put everything back together it shorts out.

February 2nd, 2014 16:00

Thanks for your response KGREEN319. I never was able get my Vostro running again.  I'd be interested to know if you find out what is causing the short.

February 7th, 2014 18:00

Thank you, TNBEACHCREW!  I'm glad you came up with the answer.

April 15th, 2014 13:00

mine did the same thing after replacing the motherboard, jack, and ac adapter, finally had to send it to dell, lucky it was under original warranty.....plug it in, light off, unplugged, light goes back on

No Events found!