Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 21st, 2013 01:00

Vostro 3750 - Fresco Logic USB 3 Drivers Problem - Windows 8.1

Have updated from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro. All seem fine except that the USB 3.0 ports are having problems.

I have a Seagate Expansion external hard drive connected to the USB 3 port. It was working fine when I was on Windows 8. After upgrading to Win 8.1, my external drive gets disconnected and reconnected frequently (like in 5 or 10 minutes intervals) all day long. When this happens, the drive will open with Windows Explorer by itself & keeps popping up. I close it but it'll just repeat itself. 

So I went to Device Manager & tried to turn off the power management for USB but to no avail.

I have tried to uninstall the Fresco Logic USB 3.0 drivers & reinstall but I keep getting the same problem. I also used the Update Driver in Device Manager for Fresco Logic & it gets updated to the Microsoft provided drivers. However, still the same problem.

I need Dell to provide the latest Fresco Logic USB 3.0 drivers that work with Windows 8.1.

26 Posts

November 5th, 2013 18:00

I've given up on Windows 8.1 so I've reinstalled Windows 8 back to computer. Then I did a system image restore & everything is fine now. 

Windows 8.1 will be on my permanent blacklist.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 21st, 2013 08:00

try the latest driver at http://www.frescologic.com and see if it works; otherwise, you'll have to wait

26 Posts

October 21st, 2013 15:00

Useless but thanks

1 Message

October 22nd, 2013 10:00

I have a dell xps 8500 special edition, < 6 months old.   Basically brand new.  I have the same exact issue and it's only with one of my external drives (a hitachi drive).     It randomly disconnects and reconnects.  Power mgmt doesn't fix .  I have a different toshiba drive and it does NOT disconnect.

If you scour the internet you'll find others are having this EXACT issue, so it is NOT limited to your hard drive's manufacturer - it seems to be either a problem with dell drivers or more likely with windows 8.1 drivers.

I'd love a solution for this

1 Message

October 25th, 2013 13:00

I have exactly the same problem.
I have a few months old Optiplex 9020 (4th Gen Core i7, 8GB, 128GB SSD) with two USB 3.0 Disks connected.

Under Windows 8 Pro with MediaCenter I had no problems. But after the upgrade to 8.1 I have disconnects about every 15 minutes. 5 minutes later it reconnects by itself.

I use it as a Media PC, so it's really annoying cause now I cant watch a movie cause of the disconnects.
I think it's a Windows 8.1 driver issue, since nothing changed except the upgrade to 8.1

I'd really love a solution too!

2 Posts

October 29th, 2013 11:00

I also have an XPS8500 and had no problem with USB 3 until I updated to Win 8.1. Since then I constantly lose connection to my Seagate Expansion drive (3TB). If I unplug and replug it seems to work for the duration of the session. I have temporarily connected via USB 2.0, which seems stable, but this gives a big performance hit.

This really does need an urgent fix.

No Events found!