Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 26th, 2011 07:00

Vostro 3750 - usb3.0 ports cant run external usb3.0 hdd?

I received my Dell vostro 3750 on 2nd Aug

This model has the total of 4 usb ports: 2 usb2.0 and 2 usb3.0

So now I talk about the 2 usb3.0 ports only, and all my HDD is external, 2.5", 3.5" (with adapter)

- When I plug in two ext HDD (2.5" + 2.5") to two 3.0 ports, do nothing or transfer files between 2 ext HDD, less than one minute later the power for the 2 ext drives is cut off

- When plug in two ext HDD (3.5" + 2.5") or (3.5" + 3.5") to two 3.0 ports, same problem above 

- When plug in one ext hdd (3.5" or 2.5") to one 3.0 port, work fine, normally

The tech support said all the 3750 has same pro, you have to live with that :emotion-9:

So how about u guys who using vostro 3350, 3450, 3550 ?

tested XPS 15, work normally.

BAD TIME

12 Posts

November 19th, 2011 03:00

"My case: the whole batch of vostro 3750 is like that, the design is faulty like that and no more drivers update for them".

A class action and witness on video sites (YouTube, Dailymotion and others) seems unavoidable now. It is necessary for us. It is necessary for Dell, because you just connot run a business that way.

Does the thing have an international warranty ? In France, anything sold new HAS to have a 1-year full guarantee for premature inner wear, and the guarantee has NO time limitation if the problem occurs because of a design fault  We are obviously in that case if many people over the world encounter the SAME problem on the SAME device.

Presently only a few people use two USB3 devices at the same time on the same computer, but as their number grows, be ready to canalize the masses' wrath for what thay can legitimally consider as a swindle. I personally do.

18 Posts

September 13th, 2011 13:00

So there is no solution for this, the usb3.0 host controller suck

Have to buy usb3.0 hub even no where sale it :emotion-8:

12 Posts

September 18th, 2011 15:00

Not only have I got the same problem (with slight variations when I am permuting my two disks, which are by the way from the very same manufacturer), but buying an USB3 adapter did not help : some disks are not recognized either, others are recogniized, but control is lost after some time. Looks like we got what appears as unsufficiently tested beta machines.

18 Posts

September 18th, 2011 23:00

usb3.0 hub cant help !!? what to do now?? buy new machine ?

xps 15, asus N55sf work perfectly

haizz I dont have 3.0 hub here to test, so still has hope :emotion-42:

18 Posts

September 23rd, 2011 20:00

@fdafromparis: tested with two ext 3.5" WD (with adapters) and they are not work

ya the usb 3.0 hub maybe wont help

18 Posts

November 7th, 2011 06:00

I purchased one usb 3.0 hub (Tripp Lite)

usb mouse > hub (with power adater) > 1 3.0 port of laptop : after few times using, the power is cut off

So no more hope, the most expert IT guy also give up

12 Posts

November 7th, 2011 17:00

The questions are now :

1. did Dell sell us machines with 2 USB3 ports or not ? And
  2. did we intend these ports to be usable or not, as we bought a machine that specifically had them ?

As I guess gthe answer to these two questions is YES, seems we should either ship back the machines to be fixed by Dell (as there is a guarantee) or get a full refund. It is unlawful to advertise and sell about facilities that are not present.

And otherwise we should start some class action as soon as possible, informing as much as we can all possible technology newspapers and web sites about how Dell reacts to this problem and eventually solves it. For better or worse, the choice is now theirs and consumer decisions will likely follow - for better or worse concerning Dell too.

Any suggestions ?

(Typed from my Dell 3750)

18 Posts

November 9th, 2011 08:00

I really want to return or change to vostro 3550 or V131 but its seem impossible. Had it for 3 months

Actually, Dell cares their consumers but once it can be solved, they just ignore

If my father is the CEO of Dell so this case is easy, am i right !? lol

1 Message

November 16th, 2011 07:00

I bought my XPS17 in UK and brought it to Thailand where I am living (the XPS17 not being available in Thailand).  The USB3 problem was immediately apparent but I did not report it immediately as I thought I was doing something wrong or my external HDD had a problem.

Dell UK (Ireland/India?) support were not interested and Dell Thailand tried to be helpful but say they cannot act unless I take out an extended warranty which I don't want to do because:

• I'm not sure from reading the forums that Dell have a solution.  Hardware or software?
  • Dell sold the machine knowing it was faulty.

There was mention of another driver update 'by the end of the month'.  I hope this is the case as my instinct is to do as FDAFROMPARIS suggests and create a stink but I would prefer Dell to accept responsibilty and fix the problem.

Two weeks after I bought my system I saw a survey saying that Dell was the least liked PC supplier - I wish I had seen this before.

18 Posts

November 19th, 2011 02:00

@jaaw87: for ur case: only few xps 15, 17 have some problems with usb3.0. And the usb3.0 drivers for those are updated oftenly

My case: the whole batch of vostro 3750 is like that, the design is faulty like that and no more drivers update for them.

So the only thing I can do is blame myself for not checking the machine carefully before marry it

1 Message

November 22nd, 2011 07:00

In our company we have purchased 3 Vostro 3750 all of them have the same problem, it is not possible to connect 2 USB 3.0 devices. I called Dell tech support few minutes ago... better to not say what I think... it took me half hour to explain the problem and only answer is that since 3 computers works in the same this is the way they are supposed to work.

I am really wondering why Dell is selling a computer with 2 USB 3.0 ports when you can connect only one USB 3.0 device.

12 Posts

November 22nd, 2011 08:00

I do not know why they did it, but however if they did it, and the customer was not warned anywhere that only 1 of these two ports was able to work as USB3 (otherwise, personally, I would not have bought this machine), the product is clearly defective and therefore supposed to be fixed by them or give compensation.

In one way or anther, we are perfectly allowed to say and claim all over the world how our machines work and who built them. As Christmas time is approaching, this will hel responsible customers to make their choice. Delle is allowed to advertise. We are allowed to complain, and let us see, all of us, if failing to deliver product working are they are supposed to will be good politics for them.

We have to act NOW. I shall make my own video this week, and warned about what happened everywhere I can. I am supposed to do so as a responsible customer.

2 Posts

November 22nd, 2011 09:00

Call Dell Customer Service...had the same issue.  the Mother/Daughter Boards have to be replaced.  Tried the drivers...no joy, tried the BIOS flash, no joy.  It's really upsetting...I'm not going to get all litigious like SOME  here, but I am miffed.

2 Posts

November 28th, 2011 09:00

Hello

I have also Vostro 3750 and the same Problem with the USB3 Ports. The Technican changed the USB3 Controller but the same problem afer changing the controller. I have an USB3 Expresscard. Whith this the USB3 devices works. Never the less Dell has to solve this Problem. It cant be, the Dell sells machines that dosn't work

greetings Josef

2 Posts

January 10th, 2012 15:00

Hello,

I also have a Vostro 3750. I HAD the same problem, 1 usb3 drive worked ok, with 2 usb3 drives things went wrong. With usb3 expresscard no problems. At first visit technician changed motherboard and IO-board. Didn't work out. Second visit (end december 2011) the technician changed some parts, amongst others the IO-board. Problems solved!! Two usb3 drives working together nicely. So there is a solution to the problem. This all happend in The Netherlands.

greetings, Deboltie

No Events found!