Highlighted
3 Silver

RE: Dell WD15 Desktop Dock - Step-by-step driver/firmware/BIOS installation instructions for XPS, Latitude and Precision notebooks [UPDATED 04-22-16]

I'm using the Latitiude 7275 with the WD15 USB-C docking station. 

Everything appears to be working fairly well, but I have an issue when imaging the device with SCCM. I'm not sure if anyone else out there uses SCCM, but here is a brief example of what happens. For background, I am using Windows 10 x64 1511 Enterprise.

1. Starts in WinPE after PXE booting attached to the WD15 dock. No issues

2. Image job starts and gets to point where SCCM starts the Windows setup

3. Windows setup runs and then the SCCM client takes over from the OS to continue running.

During steps 2 and 3 the screen flickers for a moment. The attached USB mouse/keyboard stop working for a second or two and then come back. Networking also disappears and does NOT come back. This results in the imaging job failing. However, if I unplug the USB cable and plug it back in, the networking comes back instantly. 

I've been going back and forth with Dell on this issue but thought I'd post on this thread as well to see if anyone else was having this issue. If so, any workarounds you've been able to come up with?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

RE: Dell WD15 Desktop Dock - Step-by-step driver/firmware/BIOS installation instructions for XPS, Latitude and Precision notebooks [UPDATED 04-22-16]

On another note . . . the driver's page now shows a new release as of 29 July: Intel(R) Thunderbolt(TM) 3 Firmware Update; File Name: Intel_TBT3_FW_UPDATE_NVM16_A04_2.16.01.003.exe, Release Date: 29 July 2016.  It appears to be the exact same file name and file size as the one released earlier in the month. 

No matter how I install it - or the earlier one - it goes a little and then says "Firmware is up to date."  Can't really tell if it really got updated (Dell Update keeps telling me my firmware needs to be updated so the Dell Update is not recognizing my machine as having the update being complete.).

I've seen several similar posts wondering about the TB firmware update . . . the mystery continues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hiii.

Thanks for the nice posting. im really glad to see your post. Dell Printer and dell laptop all of these are very well. We gives a Dell innovation best arrangement and well administrations. For get a Dell Customer benefits so Visit our site HTTP://dell-printer.com/ for dell portable PC, scratch pad, Tablet, Desktop, screen and so on. We have best and trust-capable arrangement about dell Technical Support Service, Dell Printer specialized Support. our Dell Printer Support Phone Number 1-888-993-6399 at USA Toll free. We do take care of the all issue identified with dell printer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Daer Joseph,

was it posted by mistake? Sorry if I am dumb but I cannot see a relationship with the topic....

Update of my problems; after updating also the video driver Video_Driver_FK4F6_WN32_20.19.15.4454_A06.EXE (that was not done automatically) the blackout problem disappeared.

The random flicker of the built-in display is still there but this is not related to WD-15.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Joseph looks like a scammer bot. That link has nothing to do with real Dell customer service and they will likely just install virus if you call them then try to charge you to remove it. Do not use them!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Thanks for reply about Joseph... as I said I am not too much smart... emoticon.Smile.title

IMPORTANT UPDATE to my previous post!!!!!

I just SOLVED all the problems by using a mini Displayport cable instead of HDMI. 

That seems rather hard to understand: if the problem is in the cable (I tested a lot of even very good HDMI ones), I cannot understand why it works @2560x1440 but not if the external monitor (at the same resolution) is used as an extension.

Anyway WD15 is operating perfectly now and EVERYTHING IS OK for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

This issue that I already reported is particularly annoying:

"I have a Logitech wireless mouse and I attached the wireless dongle (Logitech Unifying) to the dock. Sometimes I lose the special functions assigned to the mouse buttons and it starts behaving as a standard mouse, so I have to disconnect/reconnect the dongle to restore the special functions. This only happens when I connect the dongle to the dock."

Another annoying issue is that, especially when I don't use my PC for a while, I keep hearing the device disconnection/connection sound of Windows, as if the dock keeps losing connection and then reconnecting.

BIOS, firmwares and drivers are fully updated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

The hardware is broken... Dell once again has buried their head under the sand, techs are stuck with update your firmware, drivers script and no real help for it. An honorable thing would be that they recall the thing but I don't think this will happen. Clearly the product is faulty... and my advice to anyone is that do not buy this product!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

I also dont like Dell's behaviour in general, many bugsy products and a customer care tending to zero, when not negative...

But to be honest, for the parts I am using, my WD15 with XPS15 9550 is today working well and without problems, with 4K external monitor, Ethernet connection and Logitech Unify (but I did not change the default keys assignment).

The only problem left on XPS alone is a light screen flicker from time to time.

I cas state that I am rather satisfied of the buy (even if after a lot of work to make it OK).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi all, are those problems with Dell thunderbolt dockings fixed? I'd like to buy nice thunderbolt docking, but I know their docking were a failure in terms of firmware. I'm wondering if the situation changed? I don't want to fight with dell hardware... not after i got blinking 9550 uhd display.

0 Kudos