Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

T

January 6th, 2009 17:00

WD Scorpio Black in E1705: Clean Install XP MCE Issue

I am trying to install a 320gb 7200rpm WD Scorpio Black in my E1705 and I am running into an issue installing Windows.

My E1705 came with a copy of XP Media Center Edition 2005. I have successfully physically installed the drive to the laptop, and BIOS v. A09 recognizes the hard drive and its correct size and speed.

Upon trying to install, I boot from my DELL XP MCE disk to do a fresh install on the drive, it formats and copies all the needed files. Then it reboots to go into the GUI installation screen.  Once in the GUI setup, at "33 minutes left" it hangs.  I have tried to install 4-5 times and it does this every time.

Obviously, many people in these forums are using the WD Scorpio Black 320gb in their E1705.  So there should not be a hardware conflict.  I had an extra copy of the DELL XP MCE reinstallation disk that had never been opened that I tried as well to verify it wasn't a curruption issue with the media (CD).

From my reading, the 33 Minute hang up in the GUI portion of XP installation is when the checking and installation of hardware occurs.  I am wondering if because this is a DELL XP MCE 2005 reinstallation disk if it is limited in what hardware it can install.  Or if the DELL recovery console didn't support drives that large.

I have RMA'd the hdd to newegg and should get my replacement tomorrow, so I will keep this posted as to whether it was just a bad drive.

I really do not want to clone. I would very much like to fresh install. Any thoughts on this issue are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

January 6th, 2009 19:00

If I remember correctly, it said "installing hardware". Is that really something I want to skip?

950 Posts

It should be more detailed than that like installing usb ports or other stuff. In any case end the process and see what happens you have nothing to lose since it's hanging.

Also Microsoft offers free tech support for installing problems with Windows. Might want to give them a call too.

950 Posts

At the point of hanging hit the CTRL ALT Del keys and see what process is hanging it. You can then try to end that process and see if install will continue.

January 6th, 2009 21:00

Can you be more specific about ending the process?

If it's an .INF file then I can go into the Console and delete the bad file. But I'm not sure how to stop a process.

Thanks.

950 Posts

January 6th, 2009 21:00

You should pop up the task manager. then just highlight the process and end or skip I have not done in awhile don't remember exactly.

January 7th, 2009 15:00

Mark as Solved.

Ok, good news folks. The replacement drive from newegg arrived this afternoon and worked flawlessly. Must have been an issue with the original drive. These things happen.

Thanks for all your help. I hate partitioning, so glad that wasn't what it came down to. And glad it wasn't a secondary issue as well. Boot up is exceptionally fast. I kept a very clean computer with only 30 processes running, firefox, thunderbird, office, and one game. (Puter stats: 2Ghz Intel Core Duo 800mhz FSB, 2GB 667 DRAM, Nvidia 7800 GO). So I am not going to chalk up the speed increase solely to a fresh install. Technically should have done a pre and post drive test, but I forgot about that till just now. :P Great buy for only $90 on newegg. Good stuff!

So in closing, I can say this officially:

The Western Digital (WD) Scorpio Black 320 GB 7200 RPM 2.5" (WD3200BEKT) drive will absolutely without a doubt physically fit and properly run on a Dell Inspiron E1705.

No Events found!