Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

April 8th, 2017 17:00

WD15 + Inspiron 7378 - cannot update firmware

I just got an WD15 to go with my existing Inspiron 7378. For the most part it works well. HDMI video, USB, and Ethernet all work as they should. 

I can't get the firmware update to run on my machine, though. It says that no dock is detected. Additionally, there are about 4 "installing driver" dialogs that pop up when I connect the dock. They never finish. I did install the USB Audio and Ethernet drivers, and at least the Ethernet works like it should. So I don't think it's detecting those again. 

If I can at least get the driver dialogs to go away then that would be a start. Since the dock works I'm less concerned about the firmware update, but would like to do that too, since it's listed as "Urgent"

I'm running Windows 10, and my notebook has a Core i7-7500 and 16GB of memory with a 256GB SSD. Thanks for any suggestions. 

2 Posts

April 26th, 2017 10:00

Same issue here.  

5 Posts

June 22nd, 2017 06:00

I'm trying to update the WD15 firmware using the package:

DellDockingStationFwUp_1.0.0.8_20161220_WD15

I also get the error message:

No Docks attached. This firmware update utility only works with a single Dock attached.

I have an Inspiron 17 7779 with the latest BIOS (1.7.0 A07) . The reason I want to update the WD15 firmware is because it incorrectly detects the Inspiron as a non-Dell device and then limits the power over the USB TYpe-C cable to 60W.  

When running the laptop without its own power supply and being connected to the WD15 during the post-boot phase of startup I get a warning that the WD15 isn't providing enough power for normal usage and performance may be effected. I know I can disable the post-boot warning, but that's just hiding the problem, not solving it.

Has anyone with an Inspiron 17 and a WD15 resolved this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Edit: Added BIOS and firmware update versions

5 Posts

July 6th, 2017 00:00

@derfunkenstien did you ever resolve this issue?  I've got a Dell technician on site today and would be glad to know if your issue was resolved.

July 6th, 2017 04:00

@fatphil no, this has not been resolved. With the latest BIOS installed on the Inspiron, it still won't update the firmware.

2 Posts

July 6th, 2017 07:00

I resolved my issue by returning the docking station and laptop.  I then went and purchased an HP Spectre 360 with their docking station.  NO ISSUES AT ALL!  No need to contact those imbeciles at Dell Support.  Everything just works.  I decided to give Dell another shot since we're about to do a major hardware refresh and everyone is getting laptops.  The last three orders all had problems and I've had to spend 3-6 hours FOR EACH ORDER.  

5 Posts

July 25th, 2017 06:00

We had an on site visit from a Dell Technician for an unrelated problem who kindly offered to look at this issue. He was already aware of many problems reported with the WD15. The conclusion (which I think came from Dell's internal Technician's Knowledge Base) was that it's not currently resolvable for this combination of computer and dock.

See my previous post for BIOS and firmware versions used when attempting the correction. Future versions may be more compatible (but I'm not holding my breath!)

Phil

No Events found!