Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

September 22nd, 2015 08:00

WIFI problem after secondary hard drive install

The reasons why are a long story I won't go into, but I removed the HDD out of my M731 Inspiron, (running W10) so I could put a different hard drive in long enough to boot up and locate a saved file. After replacing the original HDD and rebooting, I am having problems connecting to the network router. Some of the problems are:

router "A" does not show up in list, router A does show up but disappears when trying to connect, "ANY router" connects with only "Limited" connection, PC will no longer auto connect to any network after resuming from sleep or restarting, very seldom but will lose connection for no reason. 

Most of my problem is with one particular router (router A), but does affect any wifi connection. When I'm not able to connect to router A, I can connect to either my phone's hotspot or my son lives next door and I can connect to his router no problem (but again will not autoconnect even though the auto connect box is checked). 

There should be 4 networks visible, two of those (three with phone), I have access to, clicking on any of the networks will cause all of them to disappear. Sometimes I try to connect to all three the second or third time and can only get a limited connection, so I have to dis/re-enable the wireless adapter, which will allow me to connect to at least one of them. 

Before swapping the HDD's, when the pc would resume/wake up, it would auto connect to my preferred network no problem, and now the other devices in the house will connect to any of the connections with no problem, it's only my pc that has a problem. 

I have reinstalled the WIFI driver from the enclosed disk, and I have downloaded the newest driver from the Dell support site, with no luck, it seems that there is a setting somewhere that I have forgot about. Since the drivers have been reinstalled, I wouldn't think that was the problem, the fact that I can always connect to other networks (even after the second or third try), confuses me. Yes, the problem does affect all networks, but why is this one so much of a problem. After being connected to a different network for about 10 minutes, I can then click on Network A, and it connects perfect, but ONLY after connecting to a different network first. There are times that Network A will connect the first time, which also confuses me, it should either connect or not connect, a random connection does not make sense. 

I know it has to do with swapping the HDD's, but I can't find a reason for the problem, do you have any idea's? 

No Responses!
No Events found!