Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

November 14th, 2008 14:00

Warning: Battery cannot be identified

On Start, I receive a message: Warning: The battery cannot be identified. The system will be unable to charge this battery. Press any key to continue.

When I continue, everything seems to be ok; the battery charges normally. The warning appears on every Start. This started recently possibly after I installed Norton 360 Premier security package.

Can I continue ignoring it or does it really have a message for me. The laptop is an Inspiron 1501 and is slightly under 2 years old.

4 Posts

February 3rd, 2010 06:00

Same isue everyone else has, but I can not even turn my Laptop on without a battery been in it and my battery is so far drained it will not allow the laptop stay on long enough to get any type of download (this is my 2nd battery). Does anyone know how to configure the laptop to turn on even if no battery detected? Or am I forced to have to buy a new battery again? This 1501 sure has had its share of issues: Mother board replaced while still under warranty, keyboard replaced while still under warranty.....I guess we all purchased clunckers!

4 Posts

February 3rd, 2010 06:00

6 Posts

March 15th, 2010 01:00

Hy...

I wanted to tell you that I replaced my old battery with a new one...and the error message is gone! My laptop is working pefect! Therefore the probleme was not the Bios...but the battery!!!

...for mikneg....I'm sorry to hear that you had so much problems with your Inspiron 1501! I have to tell you that...my Inspiron 1501..is the best laptop I ever had...and I had a few (Hp, Asus, Acer....and now..a Sony Vaio)!!

1 Message

March 25th, 2010 07:00

I have to agree with this poster about the BIOS 2.6.3 upgrade. I found that it resolved my issue with my 1501. Thanks so much for the help! - Eric -

August 29th, 2010 05:00

OKAY ALL OF YOU THAT HAVE THIS PROBLEM IT IS NOT YOUR LAPTOP ITS YOUR BATTERY OKAY TO FIX IT YOU HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR POWER PLAN SETTINGS TO BALANCED OR POWER SAVER NOT DELL RECOMENDED BECAUSE THATS WHAT MAKES YOU RUN OUT OF BATTERY LIFE THEN YOU SPEND £$40-80 FOR A NEW BATTERYYYY

6 Posts

September 12th, 2010 02:00

Will it work for my Vostro A840.

1 Message

January 5th, 2011 05:00

I have the same problem with my laptop  ,  and I don't what to do ?!?!

1 Message

January 22nd, 2011 10:00

Changing the battery will solve this problem.... and for sure this battery is not lasting and it is already exausted...

Cheers...:emotion-11:

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2011 19:00

hi there Monkisha850,

if you go onto ebay.com.au you will find batteries for your or any other laptop and even chargers for any laptops. all you have to do is type your model of laptop in the search box and it will come up in a long list.

all i do is type this: Dell Inspiron 1501 battery

they are cheaper than enywhere else.

mathindra72

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2011 19:00

GO TO EBAY.COM.AU AND LOOK FOR DELL INSIRON 1501 BATTERY

IT WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM

2 Posts

July 12th, 2011 18:00

Yes Dell customer service really is the most awful service I have ever had. I think they use parts that are already bad and put the system on sell because they know the parts are defective!!!!

5 Posts

September 25th, 2011 06:00

This issue just happened to my late model 2006, 1501. After reading every ones posts I wanted action fast without spending any money. I had another charger that was new for another machine and tried it, it didn't change anything. Since the BIOS has never been flashed on this machine, I went ahead and did it and it fixed the problem. The machine had BIOS version 2.1.0 and the update I got was from Dell.com's downloads and driver section using my service tag #. I updated it to version 2.6.3. If that didn't work, I probably would have thought about going to eBay for a new battery. I use a free battery utility called Battery Bar and it is telling me that only about 1/3 of my original battery capacity has been used up...meaning that I still have 2/3 of my battery capacity life left....which is not worth going out and purchasing a new battery for.....so for me, the BIOS flash worked to get rid of the message " Warning the battery cannot be identified" annoyance. I'll see how this works for awhile and be sure to update my post if anything changes. Good luck ya'all.....  

1 Message

April 19th, 2012 08:00

This worked for me.  Thanks.

1 Message

August 1st, 2012 04:00

I just used company old laptop and  I receive a message: Warning: The battery cannot be identified. The system will be unable to charge this battery. Press any key to continue.

What is the possible fault on the laptop? The laptop is an Inspiron 1501 and is over 2 years old.

5 Posts

August 1st, 2012 08:00

Hi, Just in case you missed my post on this issue, all I did was flash my BIOS and that took care of the problem. What you may need to do is go into your BIOS settings and look for the BIOS version...in this case, mine was 2.1.0. I went to the Dell support and drivers page and seen that there was a newer version of the BIOS for this machine (using the service tag number to locate the exact BIOS update) and downloaded version 2.6.3...the flashed it. This worked for me. Flashing you BIOS my render your machine useless, so be prepared if something should go wrong. I have done it many many time with no failures....but thought I should warn you. FEEL FREE TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS if you have them. Good Luck!

No Events found!