Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2013 18:00

Webcam Doesn't work - Strange but Urgent

Hello,

I use Dell Inspiron 1545. I have been using this since 2009. Had Windows 7 installed when i bought. Recently, there occurred a problem with the webcam, it shows please plug in a supported webcam. I tried running the diagnosis on Dell website, but there occurs some unexpected error and doesn't seem working. I bought another USB camera to check if it works, but it was not working too. The device manager shows the device is working properly. Also i downloaded some drivers from dell website. When installing it said, you have already installed the latest version. I am totally confused on what is going on. .  As I have several uses with the webcam, i want it to be fixed asap.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Rak

March 16th, 2013 19:00

Dear Chinmay,

Thank you for your reply. I had tried the first part as you said. But still it doesn't work. More over i have got an integrated webcam. So I dont think there is a point in uninstalling the USB root hubs. I don't have any problem with my USB ports. Only thing is with the integrated webcam. I still doesn't understand what the problem is. The windows installed  the driver again automatically. But still it doesn't work... Strange isn't it?? Please help.

Thank you in advance,

Rakesh

1.8K Posts

March 16th, 2013 19:00

Hi Rak,

Check under 'Imaging Devices' in 'Device Manager' and see if the Integrated webcam gets detected. To check webcam in 'Device Manager':

• Click on “Start” and right click on “Computer”.
  • Click on “Manage”.
  • Click on “Device Manager”.
  • Under “Imaging Devices”, you will find the 'Webcam' listed.
  • Right click and uninstall. 
  • Restart and see if it makes any difference. 

If issue persists, you may uninstall the USB root hubs and check if it makes any difference. To uninstall USB Root Hubs:

1. Expand ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’
  2. From the list, look for ‘USB Root Hub’
  3. Right click, choose ‘Uninstall’, choose ‘Ok’
  4. Uninstall all ‘USB Root Hub’ listed
  5. Wait for all the drivers to get uninstalled
  6. Restarted the computer
  7. Restarting the computer will install ‘USB Root Hub’s automatically on the computer

If the webcam is listed under Imaging Devices, you may uninstall the 'Webcam' application from control panel and then re-install to see if it works. To re-install webcam central, click on the link: http://dell.to/SZiyuN 

Please share the findings. 

1.8K Posts

March 18th, 2013 03:00

Hi Rakesh,

You may uninstall and re-install USB root hubs and then see if the webcam is listed under 'Imaging Devices' in 'Device Manager'. If there is an issue with loose webcam cable, you may press the area near webcam and see if it makes any difference. 

If the webcam is listed under 'Imaging Devices', you may uninstall the 'Webcam' application from control panel and then re-install from the link: http://dell.to/SZiyuN 

Please share the findings. 

No Events found!