Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 20th, 2009 21:00

Webcam Not Working. Alienware M17X, Intergrated Webcam.

Recently my webcam has just stopped functioning. This laptop is brand new however and I just got it on the 14th.

I have no clue why it wont' work anymore. I checked under device manager and under Imaging devices its called "facap, FastAccess Video Capture".

I enabled it, for some reason it had become disabled, and it wouldn't work. And it seems no Driver updates are available. Also have tried reinstalling the driver but it didn't work. I then uninstalled the old driver and tried to install the driver and it failed. So I used Windows Restore Point feature thing. Now its just disabled.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

2 Posts

September 4th, 2009 09:00

I found my solution!    Though... it kinda is a "Doh!" kinda thing.

Apparently FN+F9 will enable or disable the webcam!

It seems that I had done this inadvertently at some point and turned it off, and while messing around for a solution the other day, II tried the combo it turned back on the webcam!

Quite a powerful key combination I have to say if manually enabling the web cam and reinstalling the web cam driver don't do anything.

1 Message

September 5th, 2017 02:00

Well done Encarton!

Quote: FN+F9 will enable or disable the webcam

This certainly has been my experience for the last week. I hit FN-F9 and forgot about it later. I have been trying find the solution when I found Encarton's post here.

The problem I was facing was that when you hit FN-F9 to disable the integrated camera, it no longer appears in the   Device Manager   list of   Imaging Devices   as   Integrated Webcam.

This situation makes it seem as if the Integrated Webcam hardware is non-existent. Poor UI design, making for a frustrating UX.

The Integrated Webcam should still appear in the Device Manager's list, but set to Disabled. Then, when it is right-clicked, the context menu should have a option to Enable Device. This is a programming oversight that should be fixed by Windows/Dell ASAP.

Because of this Device Manager oversight, I assumed the camera was not being found by the system/Win10, not that it was simply disabled.

Thank you Encarton!

August 22nd, 2009 20:00

I've got the same problem.  I've got no idea what happened.

Matt

2 Posts

September 4th, 2009 06:00

I wanted to add that I am having the same problem.  I just got my M17x yesterday.  I was originally able to use the webcam for AlienSense and for a video chat on Windows Live Messenger.  However, the webcam just stopped working and I'm not sure why.  I did also notice the facap, FastAccess Video Capture was disabled.  Tried enabling it with no success.  AlienSense, when attempting to access the webcam, says there are problems and it cannot display anything.  Hopefully someone in the forum might have an idea about what has happened!

2 Posts

September 4th, 2009 09:00

Haha!  That was my issue too.  Wow, that is silly;  thanks for posting!

5 Posts

December 29th, 2009 12:00

Thanks! This was a simpler solution than uninstalling and reinstalling CommandCenter, or fooling with drivers, etc.  This should be in the Aliensense FAQ, which also did not help.

1 Message

February 19th, 2010 21:00

thank you Encarton....i feel a bit stupid now...but that did the trick for me too  :-)

12 Posts

June 9th, 2010 22:00

Hi i was having the same issue too, thanks for the solution. Is there a way to get more than 640x480 res in webcam? it sopuse to be a 2 MPx webcam ...

4 Posts

August 7th, 2010 13:00

This didn't work for me... I have tried everything previously suggested

1 Message

December 31st, 2010 09:00

It initially did not work for me either after pressing Fn+F9, but then I opened the Cyberlink YouCam software and it worked like a charm.   Hopefully this helps.

January 3rd, 2011 18:00

I found my solution!    Though... it kinda is a "Doh!" kinda thing.

Apparently FN+F9 will enable or disable the webcam!

It seems that I had done this inadvertently at some point and turned it off, and while messing around for a solution the other day, II tried the combo it turned back on the webcam!

Quite a powerful key combination I have to say if manually enabling the web cam and reinstalling the web cam driver don't do anything.

I've tried it and it works, Thanks for your help! I have the issue which is similar to what you have faced.

1 Message

February 5th, 2012 14:00

I had a similar problem and reinstalled my OS and it worked. Not sure if that helps.

My Current Build

i7-2600k

GTX 560Ti

16 Vengeance Ram

Dell Ultrasharp 30 Inch IPS Computer Monitor

1 Message

February 5th, 2012 14:00

see it didn't work for me when i go into you cam and when i manually turn on the camera in divice manafer as stated in the first post all i get is a rainbow screen like you get on your t.v. when they are doing one of those tests or its off the air.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 13th, 2012 14:00

EVERYONE,

Try running the Webcam Diagnostics and report back any error messages.

Thank you.

Rick

1 Message

April 30th, 2012 08:00

Haha..thank you :)...was facing the same problem 

No Events found!