Highlighted
Not applicable

Webcam Not working "Please plug in a supported webcam"

Jump to solution

Well i bought a Dell laptop Inspiron 1514 yesterday and when i got it home the webcam was working on it fine and when i tried it again today it wont work and it keeps saying "Please plug in a supported webcam" The webcam is also built into the dell laptop.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Webcam Not working "Please plug in a supported webcam"

Jump to solution

If your webcam drivers havent been updated in the device mananger under imaging devices, you can try what i just figured out. I just got a Inspiron 1545 and the only way i got it to work so far is to plug in a USB device ie. USB mouse. Make sure you have the webcam window open. When you plug in the usb device for some reason the camera starts working when the laptop detects the usb device. Took me forever online looking for an answer to this problem and i stumbled on it by accident trying to get the camera working. 

I HATE U DELL FOR NOT FIXING THIS PROBLEM. SEEMS LIKE LOTS OF PEOPLE HAVING THIS ISSUE. I'M GUESS SOMETHING WITH INTERNAL USB HUB

View solution in original post

40 Replies
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

If your webcam drivers havent been updated in the device mananger under imaging devices, you can try what i just figured out. I just got a Inspiron 1545 and the only way i got it to work so far is to plug in a USB device ie. USB mouse. Make sure you have the webcam window open. When you plug in the usb device for some reason the camera starts working when the laptop detects the usb device. Took me forever online looking for an answer to this problem and i stumbled on it by accident trying to get the camera working. 

I HATE U DELL FOR NOT FIXING THIS PROBLEM. SEEMS LIKE LOTS OF PEOPLE HAVING THIS ISSUE. I'M GUESS SOMETHING WITH INTERNAL USB HUB

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

[DELL Inspriron 1545 Notebook - Purchased around Aug. 6th]

Thanks.....That worked !  

I Plugged in a USB Mouse

(What's the Deal with that?)

Also.......

I noticed that in the same session....if I closed the WebCam app...unplugged the mouse....and started it back.......the same thing would occur (it could not find the WebCam).

However...

- I plugged the USB Mouse back in

- The webcam started working again

- I turned the computer off (completely...SHUT DOWN)

- Unplugged the USB Mouse

- Restarted

-The Webcam app now would work without the USB mouse.

HTH

and...hope this is fixed with next update....it's gotta be driving some folks crazy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hah! exactly the same problem! Thankyou for solving it with plugging in the usb mouse. It worked! Stupid Stupid Stupid Dell laptop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

hi geek had the same problem with my 1545  even tho webcam worked fine some time ago. tried as you suggested with a usb memory stick and it worked fine. removed the usb stick while the camera was on switched off webcam and then on again and it now works fine.  thanks for the advice COME ON DELL  WHAT'S GOING ON?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thank you whoever posted about the USB trick. I'm having the same problem. Get on it already Dell. I have had the laptop for six months and still no fix for it. Your brand is suffering while attached to the "DELL WEBCAM" that disconnects itself whenever it wants and frustrates users.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I have a 1537 and this trick does not work for me.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I can't even find imaging devices when i go to my device manager. and i tried plugging an accepted usb but my webcam still won't work emoticon.Crying.title

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Try booting to safe mode and then see if the cam is listed under Device Manager under Imaging Devices...then restart in normal mode.  This worked for me when the cam was "lost"....the cam was "found" in safe mode!

Dell XPS L701X

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

hi 

i tried ur way

i opened the dell webcam

then plugged in a usb

and nothing happened

it just keeps saying please plug in a supported device

it was working fine and then it stopped working, while i was using it it stopped working

do u suggest anything else i could do??

plz help

thnx

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

plug in a supported device dell web cam

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

its a laptop

the cam is built in,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

dell inspiron 5010

Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Try reading...

Using and Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

Rick

#DellRockstar

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012
#DellWorld 2015
#Dell EMC World 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

This is a Dell User Forum. I am a Dell user, just like you are.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I thought this idea sounded crazy, but it sounded good enough to try, because nothing else worked and I've been looking forever, too. I tried it and it worked. Wow. Just amazing. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I have a similar problem with a Dell Inspiron 1764. Messages come up in skype and Dell Webcam Central indicating some form of USB conflict. However, I found a comment in another forum indicating a problem with the webcam cable inside the laptop which is connected to the USB port. The connection can become temperamental. I am currently finding that when the webcam does not start up in skype on a video call, I move the lid/screen backward and forward in an open close movement and the webcam comes on. This proves for me that the problem is an intermittent USB wiring connection problem. This may not solve all problems but it is a quick test to see if it is the cause or not. 

Hope this helps

Faithinit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

EVERYONE,

Try running the Webcam Diagnostics and report back any error messages.

Thank you.

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012
#DellWorld 2015
#Dell EMC World 2016

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I had a similar problem with my Dell Inspiron N7010. Dell Webcam Central indicated 'No Supported Webcam', 'Please plug in a supported device'. Skype indicated it couldn't start Integrated Webcam. Device Manager indicated Integrated Webcan was working correctly, as did Dell Support Center-PC Doctor. I uninstalled/reinstalled both the Integrated Webcam driver and Dell Webcam Central program, but it didn't help. Your solution worked for me! Many thanks.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

This post was in response to Post by faithinit replied onFri, Feb 3 2012 1:29 PM

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I've tried everything that has been discussed on this forum.  Nothing works,  My wife laughs because I wanted a Dell and she got a Sony and an Apple and both are working fine.  Pass it around, Dell does not support it's products. This same problem has been going on for 3-4 years. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Chief Leaf,

Can you please answer these questions...

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

Also try running the Webcam Diagnostics

Did the webcam show in the symptom tree?

Any error messages?

Is the computer under warranty?

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012
#DellWorld 2015
#Dell EMC World 2016

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Rick,

In October I was in Nashville militarily and sent a video back to my students for support.  That was the last time the webcam worked.  I have been trying for months now.  I have not recently installed the operating system, it's the same as when I got it.  I ran web cam diagnostics that last time that we talked.  It does not detect the device.  Yesterday, I spent hours trying every option listed on every forum.  It comes down to the fact that no webcam is detected.  In no check or area on the computer does it show a webcam.  I have done the trouble shooting, safe mode start up, loaded and reloaded drivers, webcam, and checked drivers for condition.  Nothing! 

I feel like I've been duped by the company.  There are literally hundreds of folks out there with the same problem.  I have read most of them.

Chief Leaf

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Chief Leaf,

Since the webcam does not show in the symptom tree, that means the webcam has become detached from the motherboard, probably near the webcam.

I will see if I can get someone to help you, since this happened just outside the warranty.

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012
#DellWorld 2015
#Dell EMC World 2016

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DellEMC

Jump to solution

Chief Leaf

Please shoot me a private message, just click on the link in my signature.  In the message please include your name and the service tag of the system.  With that info I can check the history of the system and the warranty status, and research possible service options.  I do have limited authority in creating services out of warranty,  but if you have reported the problem with the webcam to tech support before the warranty expired I will be able to help.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Well i bought a Dell laptop Inspiron and webcam was working on it fine. However it has stopped  working now and it keeps saying "Please plug in a supported webcam" The webcam is also built into the dell laptop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

cijuchacko,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the drivers in the correct order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central.

Create a new unrestricted user account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If yes, log out and log back in to your account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

If your computer is under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012
#DellWorld 2015
#Dell EMC World 2016

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Pls help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Never got it working.  Out of warranty now.  Probably won't ever buy a dell again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I have check it is under warranty and whenever i am restart Laptop it is showing webcam icon in my computer and after 1 or 2 minute it is showing some error like no USB recognized so request you to pls help me i am facing this issue last couple of days..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

If your laptop is not under warranty, download the driver for "HP Basic Starter Camera". It should work. (my laptop's webcam worked!)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

RE: Webcam Not working "Please plug in a supported webcam"

Jump to solution

Oh my god...

It works... when I read the post.. I thought ppl are kidding...

but webcam is now working after the close open motion....

hilarious... Wake up dell- You should advice all your service centre to do a free fix when a customer comes with this complaint

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi all you frustrated ones.  Here's an update on my previous post. It is true that I cured the problem by moving the laptop lid backward and forwards some years ago. Believing the problem was a lose connection I even attempted the recommended opening of the screen but quickly decided against it. However, for sometime now (at least a year) I have had the problem return and the laptop lid approach did not work. Back in July I decided to rebuild the laptop and things appeared to be OK again. But the problem quickly returned. As you will see below, I believe at the moment it comes from installing more recent versions of Skype.

However, having some time (and prompted by a more recent post saying the laptop lid worked for him) I have spent all afternoon trying to understand what is going on at the USB and webcam comms level. The Dell diagnostics tests confirmed there was a comms error but only gave cryptic error codes.  The error msg from Dell Webcam Central was saying "stop the other video streaming app". But I had uninstalled and wiped the registry of all Skype references. I tried to look in the services list for another video streaming app without success (that's not to say there wasn't one but it was obvioius).  Afternoon 5-6 hours and much searching the Internet I came across a post in the Skype user forum.  This post went back in time to Skype V6.5 and the one I have on Win7 was V6.10!.  Anyway, the post refers to integrated webcam problems appearing in Skype V6.6. So I did as recommended and installed Skype V6.7. Lo and behold my Dell (Creative Tech) webcam works again and what is more it integrates with Dell Webcam Central i.e the DWC launches with at the same time you do the Skype webcam video test.  All I can assume is that Skype V6.10 is leaving some software running even after uninstalling and V6.7 is overwriting it. But again, I cannot be 100% sure and this may not work for everyone. I would add that the webcam light was attempting to flash proving that some form of comms was being attempted.  If the culprit is Skype (now Microsoft) I guess a few of us owe Dell an apology, myself included.  For the moment I am a happy bunny!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi again

I just wanted to add (and it must be evident to many) that you cannot run two video streaming apps together. In this case, the video recorder/photo image in Dell Webcam Central and Skype must be run one at a time and when switching allow a few seconds for processes to changeover. When Skype runs with DWC, DWC is in IM Mode not Capture Mode.  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

What was the close open motion?  I didn't see the previous explanation.   I've complained about the video problem for almost 2 years now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hello Chief Leaf

Please see URL which explains a potential hardware issue with USB wiring to webcam 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/dell-inspiron-1545-integrate...

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

To Chief Leaf and Experting,

Well the webcam worked for 24 hours and then reverted to not being recognised (Please plug-in supported device, Please close the other video streaming application). I was almost sure that this had to be a software / driver problem and have been trying to discover the source. I got so frustrated I uninstalled Dell Webcam Central, installed Skype and still a problem. Then I moved my screen backwards and forwards whilst running Skype video test and it works again. So I am back to the old solution that it is a wiring issue from the webcam to the USB controller.  Regards to all

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Well i bought a Dell laptop Inspiron 1514 yesterday and when i got it home the webcam was working on it fine and when i tried it again today it wont work and it keeps saying "Please plug in a supported webcam" The webcam is also built into the dell laptop.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

A further update on my experiences.  I actually had two problems with my Dell Inspiron 1764. One was the webcam and the other was overheating when editing and processing videos.  I purchased a heat sink recently and stripped my laptop down to nothing to replace the heat sink. What I found was a mass build up of dust lodged between the fan and the ridged end piece of the heat sink. I am talking of 1cm x 1cm x 4cm of rubbish. So I cleaned this out. Of course I had to unplug quite a few connectors and reconnect them. You can see the process for Heat Sink and Fan replacement, on Youtube.  The net result is that my laptop no longer overheats as it did and the webcam works again. So either the rubbish was causing a problem to the webcam connector or by re-seating the cable the electrical fault was cured.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

HELP   my dell laptop inspiron windows 7  the web cam keeps saying plug in a support device and i  dont have one and dont know what kind of support device.               help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi, I am assuming your Dell insprion has an integrated webcam. The error message refers to trying to start up this integrated webcam. I have found it can be a loose connection inside the laptop which may be corrected intermittently by moving the laptop lid back and forth. You can see the error if you install SKYPE and use the tools->options->video menu to test the webcam.  You will find other solutions in this and other forums. I changed a fan in my inspiron 1734 and reseated the usb webcam connection. It has be OK for most of the time but still I have intermittent webcam connectivity problems.  Good luck

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

hhaaha

0 Kudos