Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 14th, 2017 07:00

Webcam not found - Inspiron 3542

I have a Dell Inspiron 3542 running Windows 10.

No app can find my camera.  Everything I try indicates this laptop does not have a camera.  I have used the webcam in the past, but it has been at least a year.

Within Device Manager, under Imaging Devices I show and Integrated Webcam and an MX420 Series camera.  Both show they are working, and the drivers are up to date.

I feel a service may have stopped running or something along those lines in the background.  But, I am stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2K Posts

January 14th, 2017 12:00

Hi BARRYBZ,

Does the camera application work in start screen? Does skype work? Does the built in mic work when you try recording? 

Open the camera application and swivel the screen and check if the camera works.

Check if an external webcam works.

Enable the built in admin account and check if it works - http://bit.ly/1JoFhcw

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional. 

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 14th, 2017 12:00

You have given apps permission to use the camera?

No Events found!