Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2012 09:00

Webcam stopped working after updating to windows 8 pro

updated to windows 8 pro and notice my webcam wasn't able to work when it asked for a picture for account set up so i assumed it would have gotten fixed in updates so i did all updates and restarted same thing checked for updates none. st this point i got annoyed and rolled back to windows 7 where before 8 was working perfect and to my surprise still not working installed all drivers and updates for the cd provided with my laptop the machine is a Dell inspiron 14z n411z  if anyone as advice please help me.... tired all the diagnostic from bios etc from another post i saw here tired installing dell webcam central and that didn't find my webcam either 

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

November 7th, 2012 00:00

Hi  ryanpat,

Welcome to the Community,

Did you check in Device Manager if the Webcam is getting detected as Imaging Device? If its not getting detected in Device Manager try restoring BIOS to defaults.

To restore BIOS to defaults,go to BIOS screen, tap F2 on start up,on BIOS screen press F9 to restore BIOS to defaults and than press F10 to save and exit.After the system reboots check if the Webcam gets detected.

Did you reinstall Windows 7 using the Windows disc which you got along with the system?

Thank You

6 Posts

November 7th, 2012 05:00

6 Posts

i restored to default didn't work  flash it back to old bios didn't work  also restore the bios to default  after and still didnt work any ideas?

6 Posts

no i didn't i used a windows 7 i purchased  i did flash BIOS when i was updating for the new bios update for windows 8 should i downgrade bios or just restore

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

Hi  ryanpat,

If the Webcam is not getting detected in Device Manager as Imaging Device just try to restore BIOS defaults.  

18 Posts

November 8th, 2012 20:00

wow i have the same laptop and same problem.

well not the exact same problem. I haven't gone back to Windows 7, but I am considering it.

I installed Windows 8 and dell webcam central app crashes.

If I use the Windows 8 camera app the camera works.

BTW, the webcam on my laptop is pretty poor (grainy).

Also its not full motion video. Its like the frame rate is slower than 30fps.

Everything is choppy.

I thought 720p would be better quality.

What is the webcam quality like on your Inspiron 14z?

Another thing not working in Windows 8 are the speakers when using skype.

No audio comes out of the speakers.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

November 8th, 2012 20:00

Hi ryanpat,

Try creating a new user account(administrator)  and check if webcam gets detected when you login to the system using the new user account.

If the issue persists private message me your system Service Tag number.To private message click on my user name and click start conversation.

Thank You

6 Posts

November 9th, 2012 05:00

that issue of the audio go to the driver page find your laptop and you see updated drivers for sound and others and my webcam is actually really good for a integrated i was going to buy a separate webcam when i bough this laptop as i video conference with workers etc a lot and i forgot to and one day i had to call them with the webcam of the laptop and was blown away with the quality of the webcam hence the reason i want it back working :(

1 Message

November 9th, 2012 14:00

I've having issues also with the webcam since installing Windows 8, that is the only issue i have with Windows 8, don't want to go back to windows 7. Webcam is showing up in hardware as it's suppose to but it reboots me when i try to Skype or turn on Dell Webcam Manager. Did anyone get a fix for this? or do I have to get an external Webcam for it to work? this is getting pretty frustrating... Is this a Dell issue, do I need to get another laptop somewhere else?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 9th, 2012 14:00

monctonman,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the drivers in the correct order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central.

Create a new unrestricted user account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If yes, log out and log back in to your account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

Is your computer is under warranty?

Rick

6 Posts

November 11th, 2012 06:00

Ok so i just power on my laptop and once logged in it says installing new drivers so i clicked on it because i though it was my USB mouse giving issues again and low and behold its integrated webcam. Thank to all of you that tried to help only thing i did was install Soluto ( used it because i love really fast boot times ) it didn't happen when i installed it but that was installed a few days ago but its only thing changed so thank you all for help and to the others affected i hope your graced with the same luck

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

November 14th, 2012 01:00

Hi ryanpat,

Glad to know the webcam is working.

1 Message

December 21st, 2012 08:00

hi,

i upgraded my operating system from windows 7 to windows 8, i cannot download webcam central for my dell inspiron 14z 1470. i need help

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

December 21st, 2012 21:00

Hi felix,

After upgrading the operating system to Windows 8  you will need to uninstall Webcam Central(if you did not uninstall before upgrading) and then reinstall it.

To reinstall Webcam Central use this link for download : www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

Hope this helps,

Thank You

1 Message

January 4th, 2013 14:00

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Webcam Central using the link you provided and it still doesn't work. If I knew I wouldnt be able to upgrade to windows 8 without having issues I would've just passed on this dell ultrabook and gotten a macbook. Its ultra stupid that I cant skype because webcam central doesn't work on windows 8!! 

No Events found!