Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

October 11th, 2014 17:00

Webcam won't work on my Dell XPS M1530 laptop

My cam will not work on my laptop whatsoever.  I have been trying to use it with Skype and went to a Skype forum.  They were able to help me out a little bit but then the cam wouldn't work after a restart of my laptop after some changes.  I have tried everything and nothing seems to work.  I have also been to this test site below to see if my cam would work and all I get is a blank black screen on the site.  I hope somebody can help me out.  It is test my cam . net.  I see that the link didn't post here.http://www.testmycam.net/ 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 11th, 2014 20:00

godsangel,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers and Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

(Windows 8)How to make the webcam work with help from this youtube. You have to open the Camera app first, and then click Settings on the charm bar to see where you can give the app permission to use the webcam.

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central.

Create a new unrestricted user account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If yes, log out and log back in to your account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

Rick

4 Posts

October 11th, 2014 20:00

Rick,

No I have not installed or reinstalled my operating system whatsoever.  I also have vista on my laptop and not windows 7 or 8.  I haven't used my cam for probably over a year and needed to use it for an online interview and that is when I noticed it wasn't working at all except for sound.  I could see and hear them but they could only hear me and not see me.  Now it won't work at all.

Pattie 

godsangel,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers and Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

(Windows 8)How to make the webcam work with help from this youtube. You have to open the Camera app first, and then click Settings on the charm bar to see where you can give the app permission to use the webcam.

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central.

Create a new unrestricted user account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If yes, log out and log back in to your account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 11th, 2014 21:00

godsangel,

Did you try an older version of SKYPE?

Rick

4 Posts

October 11th, 2014 21:00

I have tried everything.  I went to a Skype forum and they have been dealing with the Skype part of it and also helping me out with the cam also

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 11th, 2014 22:00

godsangel,

Make a system restore point.

Start, control panel, device manager, click on Universal serial bus controllers.

Right click on all the USB Root Hubs,then uninstall them.

Restart the computer. When you login, the new hardware wizard will reinstall everything. See if the webcam works.

Rick

4 Posts

October 12th, 2014 07:00

Do the hubs have to uninstalled individually or can they be uninstalled together?  Which hubs exactly, root hubs, composite hubs, or generic hub?

No Events found!