Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2011 06:00

Weird sound issue XPS 17(L702x)

Hi,

I received my laptop few days ago. And while I'm happy with it there is some annoying issue. If I would be listening to some music  in the background and would open up a web browser sometimes it kind of slows the music down, like changes its temp as if the pc was about to freeze. And everything seems to lag during this opening time. Just a minute ago I was checking a video on youtube. I then switched the webpage(entered the new address into the address bar, if you must know bbc f1). And the same thing happened. The whole laptop lagged for literally 2-3seconds.  IT's really driving me mad  to be honest. As I can't think of anything what might cause it.

I installed the newest audio driver, nvidia driver(as I sort of think optimus might be the cause of it?)

Any help?  

5 Posts

June 7th, 2012 10:00

I have the same issue with audio playback. It is stuttering real bad.(dell xps l702x 3d----8mb ram---i7 2.4Ghz)

installed a latency monitor and the intel rapid storage  driver is the one causing the DPC latency . Everytime the spike occurs the audio will stutter.

I updated the driver as rick slide recommends but the issue remains.

I uninstalled the driver and the issue isstill there only thistime it is caused by the following driver ataport.sys.

Please help

85 Posts

June 7th, 2012 14:00

Hello,

Just to throw some light on this issue. People who still have mcafee installed on the computer.

Could you please disable netgaurd under Mcafee and check if you still have stuttering issue.

It will be under firewall. Please check this

community.mcafee.com/.../219216

Also please try increasing the Virtual memory.

Post back if you find any changes.

85 Posts

June 7th, 2012 17:00

Hey kurto,

Thanks for posting back. Please uninstall Mcafee and lets try if it helps the issue. Use the MCPR tool.

Here is the link

download.mcafee.com/.../MCPR.exe  

5 Posts

June 7th, 2012 17:00

I dissabled netguard under Mcafee.

Same issue. Intel rapid storage driver latency spikes over 250 mS.

When I dissable intel rapid storage driver the latency spike are over 250mS form the atapi driver (ATAPORT.SYS)

Increasng virtual memory is not doing anything either.

Should I completely uninstall McAfee?

Thanksfor any help

5 Posts

June 8th, 2012 13:00

Hey Anish,

Uninstalled McAfee this morning and that cured the problem. No more latency spikes.

Installed Kaspersky and it is not giving me any problems at all.

Reinstalled all my programsI had dissabled to pinpoint the problem and the problem came back.

Same issue--latency spikes over 250mS causing audio and video stutter.

I started disabling my programs again and found out that my passport external hardrive software was causing it.

Although the drive was not connected and the Western Digital backup software was turned of, it was still running in the background causing problems. I dissabled the program in msconfig and my PC has been running like a champ.

I tried to load it up as much as I could, 3D rendering while converting video to MP4 web downloading and music playing.

It did not mis a beat. I hope this information will help somefolks with the sameproblems!!

Kurt

85 Posts

June 19th, 2012 12:00

Hey Kurto,

Sorry for replying after a long time.

I am very happy to see your issue got Resolved and your system is working as you have expected it.

I am sure it will be of assistance for many of the people who is having the same problem.

1 Message

July 1st, 2012 03:00

Hi WAQAAS

i need your help to fix my problem with the sound card for xps 17 l702x which technical support unable to find, this noise while watching movies or youtube make me going mad.

Thanks

1 Message

July 31st, 2012 16:00

Just like to confirm that this does indeed completely eradicate the sound lag. Very strange problem, but not really surprising.

1 Message

August 14th, 2012 12:00

I had a very similar issue with my Dell XPS-17. The computer would lag every once in a while, the mouse became sluggish for a few seconds and the audio would cut out and make weird sounds. I recently realized that this issue completely vanished. The one big change I did to my computer recently was to uninstall McAfee (and use Norton instead). I'm pretty sure that McAfee was the culprit.

No Events found!