Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

F

3 Posts

July 22nd, 2008 20:00

What are safe operating temperatures for my GPU

Basically I've been reading a lot lately about gpu temperatures, etc. and I'm becoming a bit uneasy as to what I should expect. Some people suggest that the NVidia cards can handle up to 105 C (some even said 125 C unless I'm mistaken), but at the same time these temperatues can damage the other components of the laptop as everything's kinda packed in closely. So what sort of temperatures should I be looking at, and if possible, how can I reduce gpu temperatures (apart from the occasional cleaning/dusting)? I have an XPS M1710 (with a GeForce Go 7950 GTX)

19 Posts

July 22nd, 2008 20:00

I was curious about mine as well, I have a 1530 with a Nvidia 8600 GPU. I did an internet search on temps and the results said that at a room temperature of 67F (19C) it should idle at 53C and peak temp was 67C. But it also said that most GPU's these days can handle up to 85-90C safely. I am not sure about the certification of this data, but I would like someone to verify it.

3 Posts

July 22nd, 2008 21:00

Mine is currently idling at 53C and the most I've seen it go up to is about 94C I believe. I'll have a look around to see if I can find any specs. (As a side note I can play FIFA at about 70C or so, but COD runs at 85-90C)

3 Posts

July 23rd, 2008 08:00

Pretty much done that, thanks. My cooler's gone not working any more though (bad connection wire or something). I do have it raised. I played COD again and it was maxing out at about 75C or so, so I guess that's not bad.

4.6K Posts

July 23rd, 2008 08:00

@Ferraz wrote:

... how can I reduce gpu temperatures (apart from the occasional cleaning/dusting)?

There's not much else you can do - other than making sure the laptop is raised off whatever surface you use it on (especially at the back), to allow cooler air under it... or buying a laptop cooler?

July 23rd, 2008 22:00

Most lap top parts are best kept at 60 degc or below

THIS WILL MAINTAIN A LONG LIFE OF THE PARTS.

harddrives should be max 50 degc and mini of 23deg c

When you get to 70 deg c parts will work but the real killer is heat up and cool down ie 2 hrs gaming then computer off and then back on this thermal expansion damages connections.

A car will rev to 7000 rpm but its better to change up at 4 or 5000 rpm.

Better for the economy and the wear and tear.

All parts when pushed will wear out faster.

Jay IT repairs

No Events found!