Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 31st, 2010 11:00

What files/folder should the Recovery partition contain?

The reason I ask is that I have an Inspiron 1420 w/ a 10GB recovery partition and am getting warnings that the disk is nearly full. What can I delete to make more room? Or should I increase the partition size?

2.7K Posts

March 31st, 2010 15:00

Hi Brergo
If you are using windows backup to the recovery partition read this .
The folders that are in the D:\Recovery partition are
$RECYCLE BIN$ is hidden
-Dell
-Program Files
-Program Data is hidden
-Sources
-System Volume Information is hidden
-Tools
-Users
-Windows
If you have any other{ {Files or folders}}in D:\Recovery you have to delete them to free up the space on the Recovery partition ,
{do not delete the folders OR Files in these folders i have listed here}.

You can check to see if the F8 recovery does still work , you do not have to go throw with the hole restore to see if it will work , just go to the point
where it ask you to format the drive just cancel and reboot then go back to the recovery partition and delete this Media.Bin file and the backup folder that has your computers name turn off windows backup to the recovery partition .
My backup folder was Home-Office-5 i deleted this and the media.bin file it did not brake the F8 restore option on my computers i could still use F8 to restore them back to factory specks !
Heres a link to read about your problem http://en.community.dell.com/Search/SearchResults.aspx?q=Recovery%20drive%20is%20full
Get an external or internal backup drive and use it .
I hope this helps .

Good Luck 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 31st, 2010 12:00

It should be exactly as it was when you got it. That is a portion of your C drive that had the image file of your factory restore. You should not have used it for anything or changed anything on it. Since you used it for backups, your backups are useless since they are on the drive you backed up and cannot be recovered. Buy an external hard drive to back up to. You will not be able to use PC Restore and you cannot replace the files.

14 Posts

March 31st, 2010 13:00

The only thing I want to keep on this partition is the original system files so I can do a full system restore to factory condition. Based on that what folders can I get rid of?

2.7K Posts

March 31st, 2010 16:00

Hi Brergo

You are Welcome and thanks for the problem solved mark:emotion-2:

Good Luck

14 Posts

March 31st, 2010 16:00

Thanks C3PO5 that is exactly what I was looking for.

No Events found!