Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2016 00:00

What's not compatible???

Hello,

Hey there, ok so I have a dell Inspiron 17R N7110 and dell tells me it is not compatible with windows but won't me what about it is not.  I've removed most of the stock hardware that would have anything to really do with the system I think. I've removed the Wifi adapter and attached an external graphics card, I've upgraded my ram to 16GB, I have an external BT and Wifi(separate) adapter an I've upgraded my CPU to an i7-3820qm  I have my original wifi adpter in the the WiMax slot and it's used as a generic BT adapter for my controller. so is there a way I can replace the USB chipset and drivers. that's what they say the usb stuff might not work correctly and it doesn't.  it's keeps dropping all my stuff so I need to know if I can get rid of it or bypass it or something.

• 

16.7K Posts

November 29th, 2016 08:00

darkness1123,

The reason they say that it is not compatible is because Dell never tested Windows 10 with this computer and did not create any drivers. That doesn''t mean Windows 10 will not work on the computer. It is that Dell did not create any Windows 10 drivers or will support windows 10 on this computer.

Product not tested for Windows 10 upgrade

Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 29th, 2016 16:00

You can't upgrade the USB hardware (it's part of the mainboard), but you CAN install USB 3.0 drivers.

The system uses a Renesas/NEC USB 3.0 chipset for the USB 3.0 ports -- if you do a seach you'll find there are Windows 10 drivers for the USB 3.0 hardware.

November 29th, 2016 22:00

so there's no way to can physically remove them? even if I unsolder my motherboard?  I don't have the renesas/nec usb, I have fresco logic 3.0 extensible. I tried renases and nothing worked I even tried that update thing you requested and it just did nothing the program would start then just close right down.

November 29th, 2016 22:00

well it's having the issue it says it will have if I upgraded, that connected usb devices don't work correctly so i'm assuming it's the usb. so how do I find out what's not compatible?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 30th, 2016 03:00

You'll likely kill the board doing that.  If you can live without the USB 3.0 ports, just disable them.  The Windows 2.0 ports will still function.

No Events found!