Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2015 15:00

When Installing Synaptic Touchpad Driver Nothing Happens!!

Hey guys..

I have got a new laptop, Dell Inspiron 15-5888 5000 series. It's all great but there's only 1 problem..

The touchpad, it works correctly, but it hasn't any features, like scrolling, zooming, etc.

When I go to Dell -> Support, entering my Service-Tag, go to Drivers and downloads, Keyboard, mouse and other input devices, I can't find the Synaptic touchpad driver listed, I only find something called Unifying or something like that.. I tried to download a synaptic driver that's compatible with Dell Inspiron 5558, downloaded and installed it, but nothings happened after that, I looked it up on google, and found that there isn't a synaptic driver for my type of dell, but there's something called Alps, I don't really remember what was it called, anyway, I downloaded it, but also nothing happened.. Btw I have windows 10, and in my previous laptop, I used to get the Synaptic touchpad driver outta windows update, now there isn't any driver for synaptic in the drivers that listed in windows update.. any help guys?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

October 22nd, 2015 16:00

THEMOONLIGHT,

The Inspiron 15 5558 ships with a Microsoft Precision Touchpad which should feature a limited number of features.

The touchpad drivers should work like your previous notebook, and any touchpad driver updates should be provided via Windows Updates by Microsoft, it is this reason why no drivers are listed on the Dell support site.

If you don't mind please go over the Microsoft document and see if it looks that you do have the gestures mentioned in the document or not and report back.

TB

5.2K Posts

October 22nd, 2015 20:00

The Precision Touchpad driver is controlled by Microsoft, and normal drivers will not overwrite the MS driver. When first introduced, this driver did not support all the functions possible, and was supposed to be updated with time. MS seems to want to control everything!!!

October 22nd, 2015 22:00

Hi... thanks for replying but... I didn't really understand what did you mean by "Microsoft Document" What is this?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

October 23rd, 2015 16:00

THEMOONLIGHT,

Microsoft has a webpage where they talk about Precision Touchpads.  If you would like to read it just click where I have Precision Touchpads high lighted in blue and underlined and it will take you to the article.  Or use this address

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-try-touchpad

I hope that this helps.

TB

1 Message

December 14th, 2015 12:00

i have the same problem but in windows 8.1 and the only driver installed is PS/2 compatible mouse and no driver else can be installed.please help! 

5.2K Posts

December 15th, 2015 06:00

Please read the posts!!!

There is NO normal driver for the Precision Touchpad. The driver is a part of the operating system and is controlled by Microsoft. You can not install any other driver.

No Events found!