Gareth98765
1 Copper

Re: When will the XPS M1730 fully support Windows 7?

Wow - these beta nvidia drivers fix the incredibly annoying DPC latency issues I had under Windows 7 64-bit.  My XPS M1730 with dual 9800M GTs worked fine under Vista 64-bit but, once I upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit, all music/video playback would stutter if anything else 'happened' on the computer (opening a window or something would do) and it drove me mad.  I did lots of testing and eliminated almost everything on the machine except for the video or hard drive drivers (the RAID array Intel drivers have a 'Read Me' issue that you should disable caching to avoid a bug, so a definite possibility!) - I just wish I'd known that it was the video drivers because I could have saved a lot of time.

Anyway, it's now fixed and it makes an incredible difference.  Pretty shocking how incredibly bugged the current long-standing nvidia release drivers are... its completely disgraceful really!

0 Kudos
R Kass
1 Copper

It appears never, from what I found out!

I too ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, and it indicated my XPS M1730 came through with flying colors. The only issue came up was a driver update for the Ethernet Adapter for the dock I am using. I was baffled as to why Microsoft indicated everything works, but Dell Support indicating it wasn't compatible.

I recently contacted Dell's Technical Support to see if they had any plans of releasing drivers for Windows 7 64-Bit for the XPS M1730 Series Laptop and why the conflicting reports of Windows 7 Compatibility. When I asked if there was any plans of developing Windows 7 drivers for my system, he indicated that the Vista 64-bit drivers may work. He explained because the XPS M1730 Series is a "older system," they will not provide support for the M1730 on Windows 7 because it has reached its support "End of Life."   emoticon.Sad.title

What a ripoff! It's very disappointing the way Dell is treating it's user community that has the M1730, especially when they are supporting their twins on Windows 7, the XPS M1530 and XPS 1330 series! Even though these models have reached their support End of Life, they are providing Windows 7 drivers! emoticon.Angry.title

0 Kudos
Vincent_M
1 Copper

I am very displeased with the lack of support for Windows 7 on the M1730. I didn't spend thousands of dollars for a computer that can't be upgraded. Especially since the components of this machine make up a very powerful rig.  I am going to try my hardest to get dell to fix this for me. I feel like I've been ripped off and I really just want to switch to Apple after this mess.

0 Kudos
nagaisu
1 Copper

So to everyone who is in the same boat here. Yes, you have been screwed by Dell. My laptop is 3 years old and I paid through the nose for it. A ton of money for Dell's top of the line. If I would've known that I would never be able to upgrade to a new Windows OS with even the minimal driver support from Dell, I never would have bought it.

I feel so thoroughly ripped off by Dell, I can assure you that I will never buy one again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
apkobl
3 Argentium

When I got my first XPS M1730, it was a lemon, it crashed all the time. I had a technical out here about every 3 weeks, replacing something over or another and over again. It took me 10 months to convince Dell that they needed to replace the computer. They eventually did, but I should not have had to fight for this for so long. Instead of working, I was always restoring. Tech support always insists that it was software not hardware which caused the problem.

The replacement has not given me any problems, which proofed it was hardware not software.

With an expensive system like this, I feel ripped off just  because spent so much money and within a year the machine was discontinued, when we all were promised this special support for our expensive computers.

I have already bought and recommended several computers and laptops since, none of which were Dell's. Even though my laptop was replaced and is working well now, I have had it with Dell and I will never buy another one. Ten months of aggravation was all I could take.

0 Kudos
SuziQ2
1 Copper

Yes. MTCMUSIC this is so..

The issues with my  M1730 continue after 2 plus years. I now have Windows 7, which I paid Dell $100 to help me to load. It helps considerably, the new graphic card helps too. I have gotten three to date. (a new one should be on its way soon)

I was contacted by some lawyers regarding the video driver/card fiasco with NVIDIA regarding the M1730s.  I will be getting another card soon, I hope.    NVIDIA certainly was responsible for sending out broken boards to folks like Dell and HP for thier high end machines. What I don't understand, is why Dell is not helping us more with this M1730.

Now after a few months I am starting to get some bogging down when playing high graphic resident games. Not sure why, but maybe the new card will help. It looks like the same issues that I had with the other failing graphic cards. Putting broken cards in computers is not a good way to keep your customers. Like you, I expect quality for $4K. When this machine works it is awesome, and I am very happy. Dell support has been less than helpful, althought they have been friendly about it.  There is certaily no reason why they do not support the Windows 7 application. Makes me wonder why.... Sounds like they are trying to walk away from this M1730???

I am a game development  & programming student. (3rd year) I bought this for $4K. Not happy at all with the quality of M1730 support, nor the machine quality. But I honestly love the machine when it works !

Note- Other Dell machines have been great. I am not throwing stones at Dell for everything.  I have been a customer for 7 years and have never seen this kind of issue before. My family has always used Dell computers with little issue.  Presently I have an  XPS studio 14 inch laptop that I bought to take with me to class every day. M1710 is a monster, way to heavy for a laptop. The 14 is a great little machine, but I do not play many games on it. 

0 Kudos
mtcmusic
1 Copper

Hello,

I purchased my M1730 3 years ago (fully-equiped) and have had nothing but problems with it. I had the tech here several times, once to replace the memory and once to replace the video cards. After each time, it seemed to work well for awhile, but this was just because I was so paradoid to use it that I did most of my work on my slower, more stable machines! I paid $4000 for this thing and it is just so unstable! Now I want to upgrade it to Windows 7, since all the systems I use with WIndows 7 work much better but, as I am reading, they don't support it ? WhY???

I though I was the only one getting the randon video driver crashes and the system lockups, but I realise that it`s not me or my software but just that the system design is problematic! This is definitely my first and LAST Dell computer, not just for me, but for all my students (I am a computer programming teacher). This is a real dissapointment!

Tom Ansuini

0 Kudos
KDB4
1 Copper

I got my LCD working with the Logitech G15 'gaming keyboard' drivers, downloaded from the logitech web site, under support.

0 Kudos
Xyntec
1 Copper

hi, it's an old question allready so maybe you allready solved it, but  I had the same problem, the newer physx version does not recognize the card without installing the original driver first, so you have to deinstall the physx driver/software, download the original (Version 8?) driver from Dell, install that first, and after that you can install the latest driver from Nvidea, it will give you problems though, with the newest drivers the video card will shutdown or crash sometimes to often depending on your video settings and cooling of the laptop.

0 Kudos
Aeromaster
1 Copper

Nvidia bought out Aegia. I checked concerning the PPU and any version past 8.. will not drive the Aegia PPU. Nvida, starting with the version 9 and up PhysX software, relies on the Card's GPU for PhysX processing, or in automatic the software may select the CPu, depending on load. If you want to use the Aegia PPU you will have to stick to the older versions 8 and below for the PPU and also the older versions of the Card's drivers which worked alongside the PPU. Any of the newer Nvidia PhysX drivers will totally replace the Aegia drivers when installing. Unless Nvida delevelops an application that will allow the use of the PPU, GPU and CPU selectively, the PPU will just have to sit there.

0 Kudos