Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 17th, 2014 08:00

Where are thebacklit keyboard time-out settings, Latitude 15 E5540 Windows 8

Hi, just got my new Latitude E5540 with backlit keyboard. I can't find the time-out setting for the backlight keyboard. It switches off after only 10 seconds and I have to hit a key to switch it back on. I need the backlight always on (because of the lighting conditions I'm working in).

My Latitude E5540 Windows 8.1 pro has no or "Dell Customised" installed. Does anyone know where the settings are hidden on this model, or is there an application missing in my laptop?

I've tried BIOS settings as well but there are only OFF and BRIGHTNESS level, no time-out.

Thanks for any suggestions. Pete.

27 Posts

September 20th, 2017 18:00

Just spoke with DELL Support via chat.  They say I have a setting in my BIOS.

That's good enough for me!

March 31st, 2015 12:00

I came up with a horrible solution, but it works.

Download the Dell "configure" utility from here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=X0TCK.

Then create a batch file with this script (windows only):

@ECHO OFF
:loop
  start "backlight" /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Command Configure\X86_64" /B "cctk.exe" "--keyboardillumination=on"
  timeout /t 5
goto loop

March 31st, 2015 12:00

I need this too. The backlight keeps turning off and it's driving me crazy!

20 Posts

April 1st, 2015 07:00

Hi joethedude, got very excited about your suggestion but don't really know what to do here. I installed the suggested Dell program and wrote a .bat file (copied your text to notepad) but when I run it, all it says is "wait 4 seconds, press any key to continue ...." and when I do press a key it says "access denied" and presents me with a new Account user control screen. Have I done anything wrong?

April 1st, 2015 07:00

I forgot to mention you need to run the script as administrator.

When it runs you don't need to press anything, just let it run and ignore the printed lines.

20 Posts

April 1st, 2015 08:00

Sorry joethedude about my impatience. Forgot, the bat file needs to "RUN AS AN ADMINISTRATOR" (user control panel should have given the clue :). It now works and backlight stays always on. I wished Dell was less pathetic and fix the bug in the Enhancement Pack and didn't leave their customers to come up with solutions to their problems. I'm grateful for your input JoeTheDude, Thanks.

April 7th, 2015 23:00

I am able to select always on in the mobility center, but I don't want that option.  I'd just like the 5 minute option to worl.  is there a script for that.  Dell wants to replace my keyboard which makes zero sense as this is obviously a software issue.  the keyboard lights up - the mobility center "None" option is the only one that works (and I have not timed it tio see how long, but I assuming it would stay on until booted down).

20 Posts

April 8th, 2015 07:00

I'd be interested what hardware/software you use, since most people have the opposite situation, "1,2,3,4,5 minutes" works and "always on" is greyd out or switches backlight off. You also mention the "Mobility Centre" which I believe aren't installed in Latitude 5xxxx models (this was used in other, older models).

Can you tell us which Dell model, which Windows version, and which version of Enhanced Feature (Systems-Management_Application) you use, please.

4 Posts

April 13th, 2015 06:00

I also do not find the option to have backlit "Always ON". Please make it awailable, as I payed for this feature when bought a notebook.

April 13th, 2015 09:00

jep3422 wrote the following post at 8 Apr 2015 8:38 AM:

I'd be interested what hardware/software you use, since most people have the opposite situation, "1,2,3,4,5 minutes" works and "always on" is greyd out or switches backlight off. You also mention the "Mobility Centre" which I believe aren't installed in Latitude 5xxxx models (this was used in other, older models).

Can you tell us which Dell model, which Windows version, and which version of Enhanced Feature (Systems-Management_Application) you use, please

INSPIRON 5547, Windows 7, Not sure on the last question.

No timeout is not what I want because I don't want the backlight on for the entire length the computer is on.  I only want it on about 5 mins after I last touch it.  Dell wants me to reinstall Windows, which I will do when I have time.  But the system is only a couple months old and the functionality never worked, so I feel a reinstall will do nothing but *** up my time.

April 13th, 2015 09:00

Under Control Panel. select Mobility Center.  Click on the image of the keyboard (not on any words).  Select None.

4 Posts

April 13th, 2015 12:00

Control Panel does not have Mobility Center (only Windows Mobility Center). Windows Mobility Center does not have  keyboard among all icons. :(

20 Posts

April 14th, 2015 03:00

merrygaskill, the reason I asked the questions is that my thread is ONLY for the Latitude 5xxx and 6xxx models and Windows 7/8.

Dell Latitude, Inspiron, Vostro, etc. have different inplementations and solutions for the backlit keyboard. For example the Inspiron uses an Dell adapted Mobility Center and the Latitude uses Dell Feature Enhancement Pack (I believe the Vostro has the settings in BIOS).

There are plenty of other threads for Inspirons with many backlight solutions if you search for them. You need to post your question under the right section/thread or else people get confused and eventually no-one benefits from anything.

3 Posts

November 12th, 2015 15:00

Hi Joe , can you do this for my Dell XPS 13 2015 for me on TeamViewer?

thanks 

January 14th, 2016 21:00

Batch file doesn't work, goes into a loop as of course it will, given the second QUOTE text and 'goto loop'.  So I cut the file off at the end of cctk.exe" and it ran but didn't do anything.

No Events found!