Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 11th, 2013 11:00

Where can I buy a replacement hard drive?

I have a Dell XPS L501x and I've just received a SMART warning a couple of months after my warranty ran out now it's only 14 months old.

Where can I buy a replacement? It's a SAMSUNG HM640JJ. I have searched for the model hard drive that is already inside but I can't find anywhere I can buy that, and am I only able to user that model hard drive or is there better options available?

I have also had a problem with the inbuilt webcam from day one where if I use it the laptop will just blue screen if anyone know anything about that it would also be appreciated.  

Thanks for your time, Scott.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Yes, any of those will work as long as they're 9.5 mm or slimmer (12.5 mm drives won't fit).

You will need to load windows.  If you don't have a disc and are in the US, see

support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form

Outside the US, call Dell.

To load and configure windows, see

www.dell.com/.../ArticleView

6 Posts

Sorry double posted by mistake. One more quick question, when I replace the hard drive do I just take the old one out and put the new one in and it's done? Or do I need to reinstall windows? Because my laptop never came with a Windows 7 disk it was pre installed.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Any 2.5" 9.5 or 7 mm SATA notebook drive will work.

6 Posts

Thanks EJN63. So do you mean like any of these www.ebuyer.com/.../2.5%22-SATA-Drives ?

6 Posts

March 11th, 2013 12:00

Thank you for being so helpful and the quick reply.

6 Posts

April 1st, 2013 13:00

Scott,

I having the exact same issue, same laptop, same hardrive, would you mind sharing with me what replacement hardrive you got and did you transfer the data from the old to the new? If so how?

Thanks,

Terry

6 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 01:00

Hi Terry, I bought the WD 500GB Black Mobile Drive. This is the link: http://www.ebuyer.com/255282-wd-500gb-black-mobile-drive-wd5000bpkt it also has 5 years warranty!

I did not transfer my data onto the new hard drive, anything I wanted to keep I copy and pasted onto an external hard drive.

You'll need a windows 7 disk if you don't have one, you can legally download a copy from a company called digital river which is what I done. Your windows 7 key will be under your laptop on a sticker.

If you can I suggest you get a disk with the drivers for your laptop as well (not sure if one comes with the laptop I couldn't find mine) because I didn't have one and I couldn't connect to the internet to update any of the drivers I had making the usb ports and connecting to the internet impossible I was lucky enough to find a disk from a very old dell laptop which allowed me to get the Ethernet port to work so I could start updating. Apparently when you install windows 7 it's meant to already update the drivers but it didn't for me. 

I'm hoping this helps you out,

Scott

6 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 19:00

Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I ended up buying the the same drive that failed (Samsung HM640JJ) hopefully I will have better luck with this one, I was able to clone the old drive to the new using Acronis True Image, and installed the new drive tonight, so back to normal for awhile.

Thanks again,

Terry

No Events found!