Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 7th, 2009 11:00

Where has my video adaptor gone?

I fitted a (larger) new C: drive to my Inspiron 8600 a few days ago.  I tried to make sure that I had backed up everything I needed, and this included the Program Files for the ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 video adaptor.

After a bit of difficulty because I didn't know that to install Windows from a DVD I had to press F12 when the first Dell screen appears and choose a boot device, I have got it going and most things are working nicely.  However, the largest display size I can get is 1600 X 1200, and only 4 sizes are offered,  There are two black stripes down each edge of the screen.  And the Device Manager says the display adaptor is "Standard VGA Graphics Adaptor".  It doesn't have any knowledge of the Mobility Radeon 9000.

The new disk went in quite easily, and I didn't touch anything near the Video Card, as far as I know.  So how do I get it back?  I am managing OK with the VGA function, but I'd like to be able to see more.

Help, please!

Peter Quarrell

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 7th, 2009 11:00

In order, make sure you've installed:

The Dell notebook system software

The Intel chipset driver

and

The ATI 9600 video driver.

November 8th, 2009 05:00

I went to the Dell site for Inspiron Downloads.  The site doesn't mention Windows Vista in the Operating System choices it offers me (whiich were "Not Applicable", "BIOS" and "Windows XP").  I downloaded the notebook system software and the Intel chipset driver anyway.  On trying to install them, both failed to install, saying that the operating system was wrong.

I seem to have driven into a narrow cul-de-sac with no reverse gear; at least the problem is only that I don't have my gra[phics adaptor.  How important are the two downloads you mentioned, and where else might I get them?

No Events found!