Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2010 04:00

Which new laptop to choose please help studio 1747 or xps 16

On the 26th Dec I ordered a studio 17 with the I7 720 processor with a delivery date of 2nd feb. Since i placed the order, there has been quite a few people posting concerning this laptop with this processor with a massive fault relating to the processor/bios fault and that the processor doesnt perform to its processors optimum.

After contacting dell, they informed me that the problem is being fixed and it is a combination of the motherboard and bios. The bios is being updated and they have changed the motherboard to a pm55. There has been posts though to say that the motherboard has always been a pm55 and that a new bios released a few days ago has noy cured the problems. They also expalin on this forum that a quick fix is to remove and reinstall the cmos battery which gives a temp fix.

My concerns are massive as I use the laptop for work. I cant afford any downtime as soon as I start using a new machine.

Is there any body out there who has this machine?

The other advice I need is that Im tempted to cancel the order and choose an older processor some like an xps 16 with a 8700 or a xps 13. Amazingly, this will cost me more than the I7 but at least we have reliability.

Can anyone give any advice into which one to choose

No Responses!
No Events found!