Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2012 00:00

White Screen Appears On Laptop

I have a vostro 1015, and a white screen keeps popping up on my laptop's monitor, yet I can still hear the audio playing. What can be the issue of this? How can I diagnose this issue? It probably cause I had my system changed from linux to windows - or it just because I installed the facebook messenger on my desktop, but I just deleted it a few moments ago. What should I do if I still have this problem?

I chatted with technical support online, and they told me to press F2 whenever the dell logo shows up on startup. I did just that, but it still appears. He told me, "Did I try to login on the BIOS site?" what is BIOS site??

October 9th, 2012 00:00

Hi asmith71690,

Welcome to Dell Community.

The issue you are facing could be related to hardware or software.

To identify what the issue is related to you can run a few checks on the machine. The BIOS is nothing but the screen outside windows which will tell us if the issue is with the hardware or software.

To get into system BIOS, you need to restart the machine and as soon as you see the Dell logo at the start up, keep tapping F2. You will see all the devices on the machine listed on this screen, you need not change anything there, however, just leave the machine on this screen for 20-30 minutes and check if the screen goes white in here as well.

You will need to run another test on the machine. The steps for the same are as follows:

Restart the machine > keep tapping F12 as soon as you see the Dell logo > select the option that says Dell Diagnostics > follow the onscreen instructions.

Please make a note of all the error codes and error messages you would come across (if any).

If you do not come across any error messages or if the screen does not turn white during these checks, it would mean that the issue is with the software/windows which can be sorted by a system restore.

You can also connect an external monitor to the machine when the LCD turns white to see if the video is corrupt on the external monitor as well.

Thanks and Regards,

Sheetal Katke

#iworkfordell

No Events found!