Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2013 13:00

Why is my dell 5521 laptop cpu fan stopped working completely and then worked back again?

It's not like normal fan working when computer gets cooler stops, when it's heating up starts working. It happened 7 days ago. And that never happened since then. But I'm still wondering why it's happened. My laptop is just a few days old. I was checking my air vent and suspiciously was being silent. After keep checking 5 to 10 min the fan still wasn't not working. And then I started running heavy software like video converting program. CPU was working 100% when I load this, fan still was not working laptop bottom was getting heated up. Then decided to check my cpu temp and installed everest ultimate edition. Everest doesn't recognize both cpu temp and fan. I restarted laptop because my laptop was getting hotter. And when I restart it, laptop fan started working normally. CPU temp, fan speed are recognized in everest software. After I noticed that in system cooling policy settings was in passive mode on battery. Did it cause this? Is there anyone experienced problem like this before? Why it's happened? I doubt it's cord unplugged or sth. Cause software couldn''t detect both cpu temp and fan. Remember, after I restarted software detected the fan and temp, all fan thing go back to normal. And if it was loose connection why it's worked back again when I restarted and still working. 
I'm not able to give it back. Cause I'm not in USA. I'm in Asia. I bought it from USA.
Why is it still working with no problem? Should I worry about this or what? Is it ok, normal?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 13th, 2013 16:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

Have you tried updating the BIOS? Are you using windows 8 for your operating system?

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-15r-5521

Download and Run file, make sure the AC adapter and Battery is connected. Hope this helps.

Regards,

10 Posts

April 13th, 2013 22:00

Problem hasn't been happening since then. I updated bios. I don't know what method is helping me cause the problem happened just once.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 14th, 2013 19:00

I see. For now observe the computer's performance.

Regards

10 Posts

April 15th, 2013 09:00

Observing it is very uncomfortable experience.

10 Posts

April 21st, 2013 18:00

Power management settings is in active mode.

10 Posts

I just put laptop into sleeping mode by pressing power. When turned back on it, it worked again.

10 Posts

Ok. This happened again. Software cannot detect fan and cpu temp. And fan is not spinning.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 21st, 2013 20:00

You should check your Fan speed with SpeedFan & also You should reset Bios to it default settings ...

You should know that Active Mode means Fan speed will increase before slowing down the processor & passive mode means processor speed will slow down before increasing Fan speed.This has nothing to do with your issue.CPU fan will run irrespective of any heating in the PC.

Laptop Heating is general issue & as per your description[CPU-100%],it is pretty normal to get heated up.Use speedfan to now your fan speed.

Also try to  flash your BIOS as given in the above link..Let me know if your issue is resolved or not

10 Posts

April 22nd, 2013 02:00

I tried all things you said. Nothing happened that I notice.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 22nd, 2013 23:00

If you have tried all the steps & Speedfan can't detect your Fan speed & CPU temp increases abnormally,

Reason-1

CPU fan maynot placed properly in your PC.

Reason-2

Powerconnector cable between fan & MB is loosely fitted or defective.

Call Dell Service technician to properly inspect your laptop & check these issues first.

April 23rd, 2013 02:00

this is not problem be sure

when cpu temperature increase the fan must run and work

when cpu temperature decrease ander 60 c or around  the fan must stop works

if fan always running thats abig problem in your laptop and power

10 Posts

April 23rd, 2013 08:00

If it is loosely fitted or not placed properly then why when I press just one button and fan start working, problem solved? If it did so shouldn't It happen more frequently?

No Events found!