Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2016 04:00

Why no SATA cable for Precision 3510?

I've just taken delivery of a Precision 3510 laptop with a M2 SSD. I now want to add my own SATA 2.5" drive but find there is no connecting cable. How is it possible to ship an expensive top-of-the range laptop without such a basic part? Additionally, why is the part not available from Dell??

This kind of thing just creates frustration for loyal Dell customers like me who fight to recommend them over HP. Please can someone tell me how I get hold of such basic items - because I can't find them anywhere. 

• 

17K Posts

December 5th, 2016 08:00

AndyChips,

Unfortunately, Dell does not include any extra parts with the computers like they did in previous years. Did you call the Dell Pare Parts to see about getting the cable you need? If not, the number to call is 1-877-717-3355. 

18 Posts

December 6th, 2016 00:00

Jesse,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I'm in the UK so I suspect the cost of parts and shipping would be exorbitant.

Andy.

18 Posts

December 6th, 2016 08:00

Unfortunately they are very expensive for what they are (assuming I have the right part number) - over $50 for a new one. Even my Dell account manager has gone quiet on me after asking him for one. Is this is not a normal request??

Surely a goodwill gesture from Dell would be worth thinking about in such cases? I'm sure the cable costs Dell a fraction of a dollar to make. Why not make them more widely available at a reasonable cost? I will now have to mentally cover all eventualities when I next order a CTO machine. It shouldn't have to be this way.

• 

17K Posts

December 6th, 2016 08:00

Hey AndyChips,

You can do a search on google for the adapter. There should be many of them.I dont think that the cost would be too expensive.

• 

17K Posts

December 7th, 2016 04:00

AndyChips,

You can surely call Dell in the UK to see if they can provide this cable for you., 

No Events found!