Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 2nd, 2017 20:00

Wifi Speed Caps Out 10Mbps

Hi Everyone,

I need help.  I have a 15 inch Dell Inspiron 1564 i3 4GB Laptop.  It is a couple of years old.  I picked this laptop up after it was thrown away. I bought a new hard drive for it and installed a clean install of Win 7.  Everything works great except that the Wifi Speed caps out at 10 mbps when my phone is able to reach 140Mpbs on the same wifi connection. I installed the Dell Wireless 1397 drivers for it. What else can i try to improve the wifi cap on this laptop?

Thanks in advanced.

• 

17K Posts

April 4th, 2017 08:00

Espodude,

The computer is from 2010. When it was built the speed of the wifi connections was alot slower than todays wifi connection speeds. Your phone wil connect faster on your network than the computer will due to the higher speed of the network and of course your phone.

2 Posts

April 4th, 2017 22:00

Hi Jesse,

Thank you for your response.  That makes sense, but 10mpbs is very slow i think, even for 2010. Shouldn't this laptop be able to at least reach 30mpbs? What could i do to improve the network speed for this laptop? Would a external Wifi USB receiver help at all?

Edit: I am somewhat confused, So about the wifi speed, i am going based off testing the speed on ookla website, which everytime it caps out at about 10mpbs, But now i am seeing that on the application Steam,  i am downloading a game at 1.6Mb/s, which is super fast. So i am confused, on the website test it says at 10mpbs but on steam it reaches up to 1.5MB/s?

No Events found!