Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2010 03:00

Win7 Pro > IE8 > DELL Studio XPS w/ ATI RADEON: Display Blinks Rapidly during refress of certain web content

Does anyone else see this problem or have a solution or input?

Display blinks rapidly while viewing certain web pages. The web page content causing this seems to be animated graphics (not sure what type - Flash? Java?)

DELL Studio XPS Model x1640-026B w/ ATI RADEON HD 3670 - Windows 7 Proffessional - Internet Explorer 8

15 Posts

January 8th, 2010 06:00

DELL 1640 Studio XPS 1640-026B: I'll have to monitor when it happens. I'm not 100% sure this display refresh is a problem while booted to Win7.

Setup is MULTI BOOT system with XP VISTA and WIN7

Manullay switch SATA MODE Bios setting to "ATA" before booting to XP and "AHCI" before booting to Win7 to resolve BSOD during boot to XP. (I'm not in the mood right now to re-install XP to get AHCI mode working for XP)

PROBLEM with XP BOOT: I sometimes get error "EXT_frame_buffer_object extension not found" during logon. I believe this error has to do with Open_GL. Sometimes, while viewing animated  web content like flash or something, the display blinks rapidly during refresh of the content - it seems. Other times no error and works fine.

I'll monitor to see if problem also occurs when booted to Win7.

January 8th, 2010 08:00

This is currently happening to me.

I DL'd W7 and only when I am on my school's wifi (right now) certain webpages flicker a lot. I am attributing this to the school's wireless system, as this problem doesn't occur for me when i'm on my private wireless at home.

I am also running Studio XPS 1640 with W7.

15 Posts

January 10th, 2010 04:00

It just happened to me again on Win7 while hardwired to network. I closed the page and browser, reopened it, and it was fine.

I have two "theories":

1. There may be a power source / power cord issue that I've read about in another topic (hopefully this is not it). I was running on low battery with power cord unplugged. I closed the browser and plugged in for a few seconds then reloaded the page. It was fine. I unplugged power again and still fine so I hope its not a power issue.

2. With todays digital high tech world, "Its just one of those things" :emotion-12: . Recently, I've noticed that sometimes my comcast cable box or TV or HDMI wire drops sound when I change channels. I turn channel again and sound is back. With all of the trillions of bits "flying around" so fast, everything seems to drop an important bit every once in a while and something malfunctions. Same with new phone tech, email, etc. etc. Similarly, opening a web page with all of its animated code and processes that we are seeing more and more of with newer technology these days, either an important  bit is processed out of order or dropped and thus, undesirable results.

Maybe we're back to the "old days" for a while explained by an oldschool computer joke: What do you do when you when your car wont start?  :emotion-42:

All passengers - open the doors, get out, switch seats, get back in and the car starts right up. (or something like that).

1 Message

January 10th, 2010 14:00

I have had the problem ever since the upgrade to WIN 7 the worst part is that the problem did not exist with the WIN 7 RC or Vista only the final version.  Dell has pretty much quit supporting any real issues so do not look for help from them.  Just wait until you have the wireless issue where wireless works then quits until you repair it.  Thanks Intel and Dell for building another product that was not quite ready for release.  Over all this is a good computer that runs very hot just some driver issues that should be resolved by now.

15 Posts

January 15th, 2010 19:00

It's Happening AGAIN...

This time IT seems to be something to do with ADOBE (yes adobe!) Flash and IE 32 bit vs IE 64 bit on Win7. There are two different IE shortcuts (32 bit / 64 bit) on my 64 bit laptop running Win7.

Had to log off and log back on -  but I pulled the DELL power cord somwhere in between - seems to be fixed for the moment.

We noticed that IE64 & Win7 has a popup nonexistent with IE32 AND IE64 doesnt show all Flash Graphics as IE32 does - so both have issues?!?....with Win7....

I assume it's a battle or shortcome with/between Microsoft - Adobe - and 32bit vs 64 bit machines.

Does anyone else see what I see???

No Events found!