Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2017 20:00

Windows 10 Locks Up on Inspiron 7547

Hello. I have recently developed an odd issue with Windows 10. I can use my laptop fine for a while, but eventually it locks up. It won't respond to the CTRL-ALT-DELTE  or any other command. Generally, it will happen when I am browsing the Web, either with Edge or Chrome. (It usually, but not always, happens when I am watching videos.) I will get a "[Webpage] is not responding" error.  But I can't recover the Web page. Instead,  I get just the hourglass. The really strange thing is that after this happens, it usually takes me several attempts to reboot my  system.  Generally, the NEXT boot will get to the desktop but the mouse cursor will not appear and the touchscreen will not work. Other times, it will boot fine, but it will lock again on Edge or Chrome. It's almost like the system is timing out or getting stuck on some process.

Recently, I have seen two startup  messages that I have not seen before. The first one says that Windows can't connect to all of my network drives. The second says that I have to fix my Microsoft account.  

I have a Dell Inspiron 7547, running Windows 10 anniversary edition. I use Norton Security. I have scanned for Malware and viruses and found nothing. I have run all of the diagnostic programs that Dell provides and updated all of my drivers. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 9th, 2017 10:00

Keep a eye on disk being around 100%. If this is the case, your system will slow down or crash. Usually this is cause by one or more programs in Startup, or too many programs running in the background.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

:emotion-2:

Please run Dell F12 Preboot Diagnostics tool again to check hard drive on computer. Please follow steps below:

1. Turn off computer and disconnect all peripherals - printer, flash drive, external drive, etc....).

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping the F12 key continuously. In boot menu, stroll down to diagnostic and then click on it. After quick tests, click on hard drive and run Thorough Test mode. Report back any error code. Please click on link below:

Running Dell F12 Preboot Diagnostics - YouTube

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

If there is no error code.....

When the computer is running slow or clashing a lot, use the Processes tab(Task Manager) to identify which programs are consuming more memory, disk and network in real time. Please watch Dell video below.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 9th, 2017 11:00

Lastly,

Please click on link below, hopefully it will be a help to you:

Troubleshooting System Lock Ups or Freezes | Dell US

Edit:

2 Posts

January 16th, 2017 07:00

Are the diagnostic tools in Dell Support Assistant and the pre-boot tools the same thing? I checked and got no errors with both.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 16th, 2017 10:00

How to Create a System Image Backup in Windows 10

youtu.be/rtPrM3-k0jQ

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Windows 10 And 8.1 File History Backup And Restore - File Version System

https://youtu.be/Rhny1lhRRM0

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

I was making sure the system hard drive isn't experiencing any kind of issues. Dell Support Assist and Dell Pre-boot are set to do quick tests. To do a full scan on Hard drive in Support Assist, click on Checkup, Scan A Specific Device, and then hard drive. Anyway, it does appears the hard drive isn't experiencing any kind of problems. However, it does appears you are experiencing a lot of software problems.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

aanalore wrote: "The really strange thing is that after this happens, it usually takes me several attempts to reboot my  system ".

I suggest you quickly backup windows 10 and your personal files to a flash drive or external drive. You can use the free tools on the system. Please click on link below:

How to Create a Windows 10 USB Recovery Drive - YouTube

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 16th, 2017 11:00

And there are paid backup software such as Acronis.

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 16th, 2017 11:00

Lastly,

After you have backup windows 10 and your personal files, I suggest you reset windows 10 with saving personal files. Please click on link below:

youtu.be/eXaO_sw9a-U

No Events found!