Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 8th, 2015 20:00

Windows 10 -- Start Screen problem

Hi,

All Builds of Win10 worked on my 64-bit Inspiron N7010 up to about 2 months ago; in subsequent builds, the tiles on the Start Screen would not display. I think it might be because I upgraded my video driver at about that time.

I am now running the official release Windows 10, installed over Windows 8.1. Except for the Start Screen tiles, everything seems to work, even the 'Modern UI Applications" when accessed through the Start Menu.

It has been suggested that I reinstall the graphics driver in Windows 8.1 mode, but I've never uninstalled a graphics driver out of fear that I wouldn't be able to restart.

So my question is: if I uninstall my current graphics driver, is there a generic driver that will take over display, and allow me to re-install a driver in 8.1 mode? Are there any special tips for how to do this?

Thanks for any help.

2K Posts

August 12th, 2015 02:00

Hi Art,

W10 would include the native driver - WDDM - Windows Display Driver Model - part of OS. Read more about this at - http://bit.ly/1KhbbIt

So, ideally, with a clean install of W10 on a compatible machine, WDDM will be available when there is no vendor driver installed.

As stated earlier, you could uninstall the Intel driver, however, whether WDDM will kick in or not on your machine, we would not know until you try.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 9th, 2015 03:00

A Clean Reinstall of Windows 10 should perform much better:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/a-clean-install-of-windows-10/

Make either a Windows 10 .iso of the correct Edition or a Recovery Drive.

2K Posts

August 9th, 2015 19:00

Hi fastartcee,

Up until now, you had W10 Technical Preview version installed. Hence, it would have worked fine. This model is not compatible to work with W10 - see this link - http://dell.to/1N2hHIt - Hence, Dell would not release any W10 drivers for this model.

Of late, many customers have reported an issue with video driver related issues after W10 upgrade on incompatible systems. You could try reinstalling the video drivers from the vendor site - Intel and AMD (as applicable) in compatibility mode for W8.1/W7. However, there is a good chance that it might or not work and may result in no boot situation. You would not know until you try, probably a necessary risk at this time?

Again, you could choose to continue with W10 - however, we cannot assure it would be stable on your machine. I would suggest you to downgrade the OS  to W8.1 for full system functionality - see this link on how to - http://bit.ly/1MeFV1d

Keep us updated.

13 Posts

August 11th, 2015 15:00

Thanks for your reply, Philip.

For installing Win10, you are no doubt correct, but I'm looking for advice on how to reinstall my graphics driver.

Art

13 Posts

August 11th, 2015 16:00

Thank you, Rishi, for your reply.

As my laptop is nearing the end of its useful life, I'll just stay with Win10 now, as long as it continues to function using the Start Menu; in the fall I'll upgrade to a touch screen running Win10.

At that time I might try a reinstall of the graphics driver, but I do not want to risk ending up with an unbootable machine.

I still don't know, however, if there is a generic graphics driver built into Win10 to allow me to uninstall the Intel driver and still have a functioning machine to allow reinstallation in Win8.1 compatibility mode.

Art

13 Posts

August 12th, 2015 08:00

Thanks, Rishi, for your reply.

Your advice makes solid sense. I don't quite understand, though, why Dell is not creating/releasing a Win10 graphics driver for this model Inspiron; after all, it's only 5 yrs old. I'll solve my problem by purchasing a new laptop, but for others that might not be such an easy solution.

Again, thanks.

Art

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 12th, 2015 10:00

13 Posts

August 12th, 2015 11:00

Thank you, Philip, for your reply...  a daunting amount of useful information!

The only issue I seem to have with Win10 is that the tiles that should appear on the new Start Screen do not appear. There is only one orange-colored tile with "@{microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.5.9800.207..." That is all that I can see of this text string.

But if I go to the "Modern UI Applications" in the Start Menu, they actually load and work.

There are no warnings or alerts anywhere in Device Manager.

Inspiron N7010, 64 bit

Display adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics

Driver version: 8.15.10.2900  Date: 11/26/2012

Hardware ID:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_04571028&REV_18
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_04571028
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&CC_0300

Philip, I am not at all certain that the graphics driver is the cause of my new Start Screen problem!

Art

2K Posts

August 12th, 2015 14:00

Hi Art,

Every manufacturer considers the standard life of an electronic component to be 3 years. After 3 years, the model is considered obsolete. Hence, technology is always improvising and gets more complex in nature. Having said this, since the model is outdated, although the hardware may physically be possibly sufficient to work with W10, the hardware would be logically incompatible to work with a new OS/platform such as W10. Hence, Dell may or may not release the drivers for this model. One might probably just wait and see. I would say, it is a safe bet, that Dell might not release the drivers for this model.

No Events found!