Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2015 12:00

Windows 10 takes 2 minutes to boot w/ black screen w/ mouse cursor before log in screen

I have done a clean installation of windows 10 on a newly partitioned hard drive and it takes 2 minutes to boot even with all startup services and startup applications disabled!  I am getting a black screen with the mouse cursor that lasts for a long time before the logging screen.  I have done all hardware diagnostics and the extended memory test and nothing is malfunctioning.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 16th, 2015 13:00

A clean install is a big mistake unless you upgraded from windows 8.1 or 7 first. Check your Activation status. It will say that you have to enter the purchased win 10 key to activate. To qualify for the free upgrade now, you must install windows 8.1 or 7 first and then upgrade to win 10. After that is activated you can do a clean install. The free offer is only for upgrades, not for clean installs. That is necessary to make sure win 10 is not installed on unqualified computers. From the FAQs-- Can I reinstall win 10

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media, like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded. To learn more, click here.

19 Posts

August 16th, 2015 13:00

My windows is activated.  That does not have anything to do with boot times anyway.  This black screen issue is a known issue but Microsoft does not offer any helpful solutions.

No Events found!