Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2014 17:00

Windows 7 service tag worn out - HELP?

I want to downgrade to my original Windows software load from Dell.

I did an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro from Windows 7 Ultimate.

I've run many programs to get serials but I only get the OEM serial for Win7 Ultimate. It DOES NOT match what I can read on the Windows tag (I can only read a portion of the serial on the back). Not even close to the tag serial portion I can read.

The Windows tag with the serial number for registration is worn a bit and I can't make out the last 2 groups of numbers.

The Service tag is still readable

This is an Alienware that I purchased through Dell several years ago (2007 I believe) Warranty is long gone

As I did an upgrade, did WIn* change the Win7 serial number? 

Can I downgrade without the Win7 serial?

I have the original Win7 install discs from Alienware but there is no tag present with the discs or in the manual. 

Do I call Microsoft for help somehow? Dell won't talk because warranty is out.

Stupid place to put the tag on this laptop. Right where it rests on your lap. 

I want to sell the laptop but can't because I need to have Win7 on it. Everyone hates Win8. 

The upgrade never installed correctly anyway, The tiles in Win8 won't open any programs, have to return to Win7 desktop for it to function correctly.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 26th, 2014 18:00

The original WIndows 7 disc will install on the system without the need to enter a product key, as long as you do a clean install (which you'll need anyway).

The OEM copy that was installed at the factory will have been set up with a volume license key belonging to Dell, so it won't match the one on the outside of the case.

If this system was built in 2007, it could not have shipped with WIndows 7 though - that wasn't released until October, 2009.  It would have come with WIndows Vista if it is from 2007.

No Events found!