Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 28th, 2013 14:00

Windows 8 WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software for dell inspiron 1764

When upgading windows 8 told me to remove the old bluetooth driver...  then at some point I also formated and installed windows 8 clean

When I go to instal the driver that worked for win7 64 bit it does not let me do it.. because there is compatibility problems

I wan to use my android phone with my laptop

3.1K Posts

Hi Unbreak2013,

Inspiron 1764 system has not been tested by Dell to work with Windows 8. Hence the drivers are not available. You may refer to the link on Dell Computer Support for Windows 8 Upgrade http://dell.to/RnDAFu 

Inspiron 1764 is usually shipped with the Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth module. You can try the following steps which might work for you:

- Click the following link to download the most updated driver for the Bluetooth: http://dell.to/12ezs1R
- Save the folder (zipped folder) on the 'Desktop screen'
- Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R235168.exe
- The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or unzip to C:\Dell\Drivers\24T1W\
- Click Ok
- After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor window is still open, close it
- Open the following path: C:\dell\Drivers\R235168\Win64 (Follow steps mentioned below)
Note: The steps listed below are based on assumption that Windows 32 bit version is installed in your laptop; please open Win64 folder if Windows 64 bit is installed in your system. Please refer to the step-by-step instructions as mentioned below:

- Click 'Computer' and drive letter 'C'
- Locate folder 'dell' and double click it
- Locate folder 'Drivers' and double click it
- Locate folder 'R235168'
- Locate folder 'Win64' and double click it (Open Win 64 folder if Window 8 64 bit version is installed)
- Locate file Inst (Refer to the image below)

Right click file 'Inst'
- Click 'Run as an administrator'
- Click 'Yes' to continue if prompted with 'User access control' message
- Follow through with the installation as per the screen instructions
- Finish the installation and check for the Bluetooth functionality
- If issue persists, try using the 'setup' file to install drivers in compatibility mode (Next Step)

Install 'Setup.exe' file in 'compatibility Mode'
- Navigate to C:\dell\Drivers\R235168\Win64
- Right click ‘Setup’ file and click ‘Properties’
- Click “Install in compatibility mode’
- Click on Application and select ‘Troubleshoot Compatibility’
- Next, click on ‘Troubleshoot Program’
- Click on Program worked in earlier versions of Windows
- Click on ‘Windows 7’
- Click on ‘Start the Program’
- Do not hit ‘Next’ until the installation completes
- Once the installation completes, click on ‘Next’

Note: Though the recommended steps have exhibited some positive results, you may still experience Bluetooth issues as the laptop is not tested to work optimally with Windows 8.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

I tried all that before you posted that.... lol.. but i was running the setup.exe in comp. mode and not the inst.exe... by doing the inst.exe its working now.. thank you so much for this trick! Thanks!

3.1K Posts

February 28th, 2013 15:00

Hi Unbreak2013,

Glad to know the issue is resolved. Do reach out in case you have any further questions.

No Events found!