Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 25th, 2013 09:00

Windows 8 installation on Precision M4600?

Hi

Does anyone have documentation or instructions that I can follow to successfully install Windows 8 onto a Precision M4600 as if Dell had done a factory install?

Here are the problems I've faced with the installation I've tried to do myself:

• Fan comes on high speed when screen is locked and gone blank.
  • Dell have not provided drivers for everything under Windows 8, which means I've got to figure out (a) which drivers I need to get from Windows 7 and (b) what order to install them in.

So if anyone has done this and is happy with the results, I'd love to see the steps you took.

For some reason, Dell don't provide this information themselves and it is particularly frustrating that you have to dig into their Windows 7 drivers :-(.

Philip

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

February 26th, 2013 20:00

Hi Philip,

You may go through this link for instruction and other information regarding Windows 8 Operating system installation.

http://dell.to/Xg0UGT

With regards to windows 8 installation on this particular system, go through this documentation:

http://dell.to/Xg1STG

Please revert if you have any doubts.

16 Posts

February 27th, 2013 03:00

Unfortunately, neither of these links help me to any great amount.

The second link I already knew about and it just tells me about issues with Win8 on the hardware.

The first link I didn't know about but there are quite a few people posting on that page with the same opinion as me, namely that Dell are not keeping the Win8 drivers updated, particularly with regards to Win7!

Part of the problem with the documentation you've linked to is that it talks about *upgrading* to Windows 8. I don't want that - I want to do a clean installation of Windows 8. Dell used to provide explicit documentation for manual reinstallation of Windows but it looks like the Vista and Win7 documentation is no longer available.

All I'm asking for from Dell is some step-by-step documentation that explains, for example, when to use a Win7 driver instead of either an out-of-the-box driver or an explicit Dell Win8 driver. For example, I had to install the Dell Windows 7 touchpad driver in order to stop the cursor jumping when I was typing.

I am very disappointed with Dell's lack of support for Windows 8.

16 Posts

February 27th, 2013 05:00

Windows 8 *is* working on my Precision - it just isn't working well, which is why I'm asking for help on the best practice way to install Win8 cleanly and properly.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 27th, 2013 05:00

I do not believe that NX support is in the bios so 8 is not going to work at all.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

March 6th, 2013 06:00

Hi Philip,

The BIOS has to be flashed to the latest version before upgrading or reinstalling windows 8 Operating system. Next install the operating system. Please find the link below for instruction:

http://bit.ly/XVvsej

Next install the required drivers from the link given below:

http://dell.to/RhzK0Z

Once the drivers are installed, run a complete Windows update.

Please let me know if you are facing any particular issue after installing Windows 8 to assist you further.

16 Posts

March 6th, 2013 11:00

Hi Sujatha

The laptop was upgraded to the latest BIOS before I installed Windows 8.

Particular issues that I am having include:

1. Only have out of the box power profiles. With the factory-installed Windows 7, Dell provide additional power profiles which include ones tuned for low latency, video editing, etc.

2. Wi-Fi is really poor, particularly when trying to use an 802.11N network. I will find myself apparently connected to the Wi-Fi but nothing works. I have to reboot the laptop in order to restore Wi-Fi functionality. The recommended Intel Wi-Fi driver, which appears to be labelled as a beta!, is not a solid driver and the laptop works better, although still not brilliantly, with the Microsoft out-of-the-box driver.

3. If the laptop is left unused to the point where the display is turned off by power management, the fans go to full speed. Restoring the display gets the fans to return to their normal speed.

As you can see, a frustrating mix of issues. There may be others that I cannot remember at the moment but these are the prominent ones.

Regards

Philip

16 Posts

March 8th, 2013 07:00

Hi Sujatha

Thank you for suggesting a new BIOS. However, I see that it is labelled V08, whereas the version I am currently using is V13. It concerns me greatly that Dell seem to have got their numbering messed up! The fixes/enhancements don't appear to suggest anything that might relate to the Wi-Fi or fan issues I'm experiencing, so I would appreciate it if you could clarify why you think this may help.

With regard to the power profiles, I accept that Dell Control Point is not compatible with Windows 8, but power profiles are a feature of Windows, so the fact that Dell have not provided a Windows 8-compatible version of these power profiles just reinforces my concern that Dell are not providing adequate support for Windows 8 on hardware that is not very old at all. Dell used to be SO much better than this.

Regards

Philip

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

March 8th, 2013 07:00

Hi Philip,

Power profiles are configured by using Dell branded control panel that is Dell Control Point. However Dell Control Point is not compatible with Windows 8. Hence you will be unable to set power profiles.

With regards to the fans running to full speed when the display goes off or even the Wi-Fi not working efficiently, I suggest that you flash BIOS to the latest version released today from the link given below:

http://dell.to/10gYKHN

Please reply to this post with the status to assist you further.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

March 11th, 2013 06:00

Hi Philip,

I request you to flash A08 version BIOS from the link given in the previous post. Let me know the status after flashing BIOS. Based on the feedback after the BIOS update, I will escalate the issue to the engineering team.

Please send me a private message with the system service tag.  Please click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message.

16 Posts

March 11th, 2013 07:00

OK - I'm proceeding with the installation of A08.

It is interesting to compare A08 with A13 (currently installed). The changes seem to be:

A13 has embedded controller A00, whereas A08 has X23.

A13 has Intel Management Engine update 7.1.52.1176, whereas A08 has 7.1.20.1119 (backwards?).

A08 adds Gigabit Ethernet 0.D.3, Intel Antitheft 3.0.0.18 and ACPI OS support 0.0.0.1

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

March 12th, 2013 04:00

Hi Philip,

You don’t have to downgrade the BIOS is A08.  A13 version which is the latest version and released today, I would like to know if this version of BIOS helped in resolving the issue. If not, kindly reply to this post, so that I can escalate the issue to the Engineering team.

Your feedback is important for us. Do let me know if you happened to install A13 even before it was released.

16 Posts

March 12th, 2013 07:00

Hi

I'm a bit confused by your statement that "A13 version which is the latest version and released today". According to the link you provided earlier, A08 was released on 8th March 2013. A13, by comparison, was released on 22nd February 2013.

So I'm not sure what you mean by "Do let me know if you happened to install A13 even before it was released." - I definitely had A13 installed on my laptop before I went ahead and installed A08 as per your instructions.

Philip

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

March 13th, 2013 04:00

Hi Philip,

As per the support website the latest BIOS that is A13 was released on March 12th 2013.  BIOS version A08 was released on March 8th 2013 and I have attached the picture of the release dates above. Let me know if the system has the latest BIOS A13. I suggest that you flash BIOS to the latest version from the link given below:

http://dell.to/YrksFM

Let me know the system status after flashing BIOS.

16 Posts

March 16th, 2013 01:00

Hi

I am still testing the Wi-F but the BIOS change definitely hasn't made any difference to the behaviour of the fans. When the screen is blanked, the fans go to full speed. Restore the display and the fans slow down.

It did not behave like this with Windows 7.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

March 18th, 2013 08:00

Hi Philip,

Thank you for the update. I request you to send me a private message with the system service tag to assist you further. Please click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message.

No Events found!